Extremely hard clearcoat???? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427blownvette
haha That will be a horror story. Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea.

I sanded the sh** out of this car. I am hoping that I took off the entire last coat. I know that I messed up bad and all I can do know is see what happens and hope for the best.
==========================================
The best thing you can do now that you have broke the top coat is "sun" time before you buff.
The UV's will pull the solvents out, where setting inside will not, they will just set there if there is a lack of ISO/polyol mix.

2-3 days or until the clear stops softening , then you know they are out.

Also it will make you buffing easier as the solvents will shrink the wet sanding scratches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

I havent put on my last coat of clear yet. Should I let the car sit outside for a few days, then bring it back in to spray my final layer of clear?

The reason I am gonna spray clear on again is because after I block it out with 2000grit the clear will lay on super smooth, for an awesome last coat and I want to add some extra clear since I sanded the crap out of the first 3 layers.

Thanks for the advice
Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I havent put on my last coat of clear yet. Should I let the car sit outside for a few days, then bring it back in to spray my final layer of clear?

The reason I am gonna spray clear on again is because after I block it out with 2000grit the clear will lay on super smooth, for an awesome last coat and I want to add some extra clear since I sanded the crap out of the first 3 layers.

Thanks for the advice
====================================
Ouch! Man that is a must at this point or the new application of clear could pop in the second coat like no tomorrow. I would want to see at least two full days in sun.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

No problem the car will go outside for a few days......

Told everyone I was new and have no clue. I wasnt lieing haha
Old 08-23-2010, 03:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
No problem the car will go outside for a few days......

Told everyone I was new and have no clue. I wasnt lieing haha
==================================================

I like a lot of people thought this was a BS post and thought it was even more when the Dupont rep shows up.

I now have the feeling that no matter what happened, you really don't know the results yet.

The last coat will never cure, period, yes it will dry inside and hopefully you have the last coat sanded off, if not with in 30 minutes in the sun you will know if the clear turns liquid and after a couple of hours all your sand scratches disappear as if you buffed it.

That is when you know the last coat of clear is gone and you cannot clear over it until it is gone.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

Update:::::: The next 2 days are going to be rainy and i wont be able to put the car outside.

Once I do get the chance to get it outside I will let you all know what happens.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

BARRY your the man the next time i need something i will contact you. LMFAO
it amazes me how when some people can't give the correct ansr they want to attack and judge the person that does.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Barry is correct in cooking the clear as long as you can before applying more clear.

give it time for the solvents trapped to release.

i have been doing this for some time and i to have made my fair share of mistakes,u live and learn.

imo u should be fine after it cures a little bit and apply some more clear with activator this time stay away from the wax and grease remover ,lmfao!!!!!!

best of luck,Travis
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

I think they should make the containers different shapes or different color labels. Since it was my first time painting I was nervous and a little mixed up from time to time and that didnt help at all.

They make the labels the same color and design, and have the words very small on them. Easy to mix up when you are flustered.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I think they should make the containers different shapes or different color labels. Since it was my first time painting I was nervous and a little mixed up from time to time and that didnt help at all.

They make the labels the same color and design, and have the words very small on them. Easy to mix up when you are flustered.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, don't let it bother you, no one wants it to happen but it does and it does to some of the best painters in the world.

I get about a call a month where someone mixed clear with reducer instead of activator.
Had one from a very famous shop a year or so ago, doing a custom job on a bike from overseas, its a Saturday and the owner of shop says we mixed the clear 1:1 with accelerator and put on 6 or 7 coats, the answer is not what they wanted to hear, start washing off.

So even the best, mess up but we all learn from our mistakes.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

It happened to me enough so I made some shelves on my mixing table and only the ingrediants I need are on the table Reducer always gets put back on the shelf and just the clear and activator stay.what messes me up most are using 4;1 ratios all day then going to a 1;1 and mixing it at 4;1 not even thinking about it.I painted my first car about 35 yrs ago and made less mistakes than I do now..You get complacent and dont watch what your doing...Here what happens when you mix your 1:1 epoxy sealer at 4:1 then base and clear ....next day,it dies and you start praying to the paint gods its like you painted over foam rubber.
Praying dont help doubling up the hardner for the next couple coats sounds good ,in theory but never works either ...this is all that works for sure....a razor.. On this hood I even warned the painter about the 1;1 ratio when he was prepping because I just did twice back to back ...the next day I knew right away what happened and asked if he mixed it 1;1 or 4;1 his head shot up and had the dumbest look i ever saw,we laughed our butts off...Hes also been painting cars for 35 yrs....its no big deal...
I dont have any pics of me scraping off three coats of high build feather fill from an entire car...I wasnt laughing the two times I did that ....I still hate that stuff...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5933 (Small).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	47644   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5934 (Small).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	47645  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-23-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:56 PM

its not funny but i have done similar

but i have always found it fun to cut loose with a razor blade scraper,its addicting.

you have the right idea,i myself have to orginze my shelf's,its easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment and go oh **** after you are done.

i sprayed the entire side of a 09 tahoe the other day and realized after i was done that i had used fast act.in my clear instead of very slow,100 in the shop that day and i had worked 12 hours that day to get this thing shot.

talk about hard to melt in between coats and i was going damn my gun or something is messing up.

talk about die back,lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we all make simple mistakes and kick ourselves in the *** after wards,just human nature.

the best advice i can give is get right back into like nothing happened and learn more and more.

best of luck,Travis
Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

I was trying to think and can't ever recall leaving an activator out of anything but my screw-up are just the master of dumb moves.

Moving hose and hitting car.

Drip sweat on deck-lid.

Last coat of clear, filled up gun and did not have top screwed on right.

Leave garage door open to soon and we all know fresh clear draws cats.

My all time favorite, I had just restored a 260 SL, red had three coats of clear, just a perfect job to die for. Soooo walk to house and get a cup of coffee, 16 oz cup is what I use!
Walk back to garage and just getting a woody looking at the car and I stumble over the air hose, coffee got hood and right fender.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i take a da list into the booth every time. i read the label of every can every time. a professional knows he can screw up ...... a know it all thinks he is above it.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
i take a da list into the booth every time. i read the label of every can every time. a professional knows he can screw up ...... a know it all thinks he is above it.
or a professional KNOWS he will screw up. the minute you think you are perfect and cant screw up, is the minute you need to put the gun down and do something else. never too old to learn, and never too experienced to not make mistakes.

we are all humans, not robots. i've poured my share of clear in to the pps cups without the liner in em, among other things

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.