Hot Rod Forum banner

EZ wiring - back up light wiring

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  59 el camino 
#1 ·
At a lose on how to wire up a back up light using the EZ wiring harness (12 circuit) fuse block with a Hurst Pro Matic 2 shifter. I have the NSS done, but have no schematic for any of it. Where can i get the power from, does it need to be constant?

#2 ·
backup

Power can come from any source, should be fused though. Run the power to one side of your back up switch, the other side goes back to the center of your back up connector, the one to the bulb. Put your ground side to any convient ground point. Imagine water flowing through a garden hose with your back up switch opening and closing the flow.
John

#3 ·
back up light

yeah thats what i thought as well, but the shifter only has 1 wire for the back up light (reverse pos.) it looks as though it should have 2 wires as one of the factory spots is open (like 1st - 3rd gears) but it doesn't, it also doesn't appear to be broken or missing the second wire as it looks clean (like there should not be a wire connection. The car is orginal 4 speed (i got with an Auto) '67 LeMans

#4 ·
back up

OK they are going to make this harder. Looks like they are switching the ground side. Need to check for continuity through the switch when in reverse position. If the existing wire connector goes to ground in reverse you must wire your back up lights differently or use a relay. A relay is the best way to go so you do not have power to the lights all the time. All you need is a three pin relay. It will have power to one pin, one pin is the power out to your lights, and the third is the ground which activates the relay. Wire the ground pin to your switch on the shifter. It should activate the relay when in reverse, which will turn on the lights.
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.