EZ Wiring power window kit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

EZ Wiring power window kit

I'm trying to install an EZ wiring power window kit in a fiberglass door for a 76 F-100. The glass is a straight piece of glass. Everything should work, but because of the shape of the door, I just don't quite have enough width in the door to get the glass at the right angle to function properly. The kit is the type where the glass rides up and down on a center shaft, rather than with a scissors.

Can I get away with bending that center shaft just a bit? The window is probably only about an inch out of alignment when it is all the way in the up position.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

what do you mean by an inch out of alignment?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Pull the glass out and have different sideglass cut that is
taller than the original.

I had to do this on my 59----made the glass 1" deeper and then the streetrod
power windows would work.

Yours being a pickup door----you could even go a bit deeper and still have the glass drop all the way into the door
Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daledove
what do you mean by an inch out of alignment?
When the glass is in the all the way up position, and locked into the track on the sides, the top side of the glass is about 3/4 inch to an inch outside the track at the very top.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
Pull the glass out and have different sideglass cut that is
taller than the original.

I had to do this on my 59----made the glass 1" deeper and then the streetrod
power windows would work.

Yours being a pickup door----you could even go a bit deeper and still have the glass drop all the way into the door
I don't think that is my problem. If I try to go to longer glass, the glass won't clear the inside to the door so that it could be in a full down position. I already had the class custom cut to eliminate the vent window.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

Tried a longer piece of glass. Same result. the angle of the lift causes the glass to be about an inch outside the frame at the top of the run. If I disconnect it from the lift, I can make a straight run up into the channel. Back to the same question, can the lift be bent or curved?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

could you post a picture of the glass when it's up so I can see exactly what you are dealing with? I think I can help but I would like to see it first.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

power window

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp246
When the glass is in the all the way up position, and locked into the track on the sides, the top side of the glass is about 3/4 inch to an inch outside the track at the very top.
If the glass is outside the channel at the top and you have a straight glass, either you have a little curve in your door, or the unit is not in so that the unit pushes the window up straight. I could see why a longer glass won't work. You said it was a fiberglass door are you just putting it together, or are you just changing it over to power windows with the same glass? If you are just putting it together for the first time the door could have a bend in it.

35 terraplane
Old 10-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

Hope this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	170_0005.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	717.3 KB
ID:	49010   Click image for larger version

Name:	170_0006.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	49011  
Old 10-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
If the glass is outside the channel at the top and you have a straight glass, either you have a little curve in your door, or the unit is not in so that the unit pushes the window up straight. I could see why a longer glass won't work. You said it was a fiberglass door are you just putting it together, or are you just changing it over to power windows with the same glass? If you are just putting it together for the first time the door could have a bend in it.

35 terraplane
Yes, I do have a straight glass. I am making a custom window, removing the vent, etc. If I remove the glass from the lift, it will slide straight up and down in the channel, and fit perfectly. I don't seem to have enough room with the lift attached.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

power window

Looks to me as if you are going to have to move the power window lift, if you can move the glass up and down, and it works, there isn't enough give to take up the amount of glass that is sticking out. you say you have no room at the lift, I would guess you mean in and out. Would you have more room if you moved it down towards the bottom of the door then I think it would have to move to the outside, you would have to get a longer glass but to me, it is not going up at the right angle. IF you can't move the motor you will have to get another unit. Do you have the other side in?

35terraplane
Old 10-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

It looks to me like you can move the lower part of the unit towards the outside of the door and it should fix the problem. You would have to make some sort of spacer for the bottom mount of the unit.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes, I do have a straight glass. I am making a custom window, removing the vent, etc. If I remove the glass from the lift, it will slide straight up and down in the channel, and fit perfectly. I don't seem to have enough room with the lift attached.
Can you shim the lift or is it solid ? oh is it a cable drive? sounds like window tracks are in the rite place if the glass will slid up and down If the motor is mounted to a bar you mite be able shim it out start with small shims say like 1/8" to start as that will make a big change at the top.

good luck OLDROD
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

The lift has a worm type gear inside. The motor is already about as far as I can get it towards the outside of the door, hence why i'm wondering about putting just a slight bend in the shaft of the lift.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

window kit

Quote:
The lift has a worm type gear inside. The motor is already about as far as I can get it towards the outside of the door, hence why i'm wondering about putting just a slight bend in the shaft of the lift.
If you bend it and you will have to bend it quite a bit it will more than like bind at first, get a little dirt in it then hang up. Without seeing it I would guess the worm gear teeth are pretty big so I would think it would be hard to get it at the right angle to go straight up and down. Is that unit mounted top and bottom, or just across the bottom. Is the channel that holds the window on the bottom of the unit facing in or out. If it is facing in could you turn the whole unit around, and mount it so the channel is facing out. Other than that I don't know why it won't go up straight unless you can move it all down and move it out, which you say you can't.

35terraplane

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.