Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - f-bird'88 lift rule 350-vortec
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
CNC: I don't doubt or question you skills and knowledge on proper race engine block preparation or the value of using a torque plate when honing,

I don't even know if GM hones the blocks with a torque plate attached or not, I'd bet they do. I'll ask some one that works on the line at GM St. Catharines ( Engine Plant) next time, if they do or.....
F-BIRD

We buy alot of new blocks form GM and NO they do not plate hone their blocks and we have seen quite a few of the crate engines out of cicle track cars and have gone though them and those are not plate honed either.

Stock engines run very lean compared to a performance engine and there is very little byproduct from the combustion proccess.

Over the years we have done a few rebuilds for friends and have gone through the blocks the right way line hone, deck, bore and plate hone and the engines have run better then they did when they were new and the fuel milage improved alot as well..

On other thing to remember that GM bores the cylinders off the pan rails Which is not very accurate, Some time take a depth mike and measure the depth of the main housing bores from the pan, We have found that the pan rail and the crank center lines are off a lot. Would a guy ever deck of the pan rail ?? GM blocks are machined very crude compared the Bowtie blocks.