F-body suspension tuning - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

F-body suspension tuning

How does one determine the optimum spring rate for handling on the street? In my Trans Am project I installed 500 lb. 1" drop springs for the front and fiberglass leaf springs for the back. The car has a 455 and no A/C or heater and aluminum intake, so it's probably about down to the factory 403 with A/C weight. I use Addco sway bars front and back w/ polygraphite bushings.

Could someone point me in the right direction as far as finding this information? The back end feels a little stiff, but I would like to qualify this in testing rather than by "feel".

Advertisement

Last edited by Deuce; 10-08-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I am not old fashioned enough to consider the photo you posted as lewd ... but it was a not rated PG either
PLUS ...
The photo had no technical merit ... so I removed it

Deuce ... Moderator
Old 10-08-2006, 11:03 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

I want to see the pic! Dang it!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It was a painted mural of a semi-naked woman with large breasts ... and had no tech value. It was not appropriate for a tech forum ...
Old 10-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

No technical merit? Pin-up deleted by moderator!

No technical merit? Tell me: Do you even have the foggiest notion of how to paint a super-realistic portrait on sheet metal? Do you believe such artwork just appears spontaneously? Do you have any inkling of the years of dedication and study necessary to understand the complexities of shading, human anatomy, light, translucency, color, skin tones, shape and form, composition and all the other ingredients that combine to create artwork?

I sincerely doubt it because all you see is a "half-nekkid girl with big titties".

The painting is on the decklid of my Firebird and I'm damn proud of it. It represents a tradition of the American pin-up that dates back to the art-deco 1920's. The pin-up emblazoned the WW2 bombers that defeated the Axis powers. Rest assured no pin-ups were painted by the enemy camp, with their rigid dictatorial way of thinking. The pin-up then represents the American way of thought, of freedom of speech and expression, of having an open mind and tolerance towards others.

I am also proud of the artwork because it represents the ultimate expression of over twenty years of technical achievement in the realm of airbrushing. No, it doesn't have a direct correlation with the question I asked, but the photos people choose to attach seldom do. I attached it because I believe that most people would like to see it. Most hotrodders that I know are men and all red-blooded American males that I know appreciate beauty in all its forms, especially the female form.

What do you all think? Are we being just a wee bit too overzealous in our moderating?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

How much does she weigh? This may have an effect on choosing the proper spring rate...

The only way to determine what's right for your car is to take it to the track and turn some corners real fast. What's right for autocross will be different than what's right for the track, which will also be different than what's right for the open road.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Pick up one of these
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro....asp?RecId=163

There isn't really any other way than trial and error.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguila1
No technical merit? Tell me: Do you even have the foggiest notion of how to paint a super-realistic portrait on sheet metal? Do you believe such artwork just appears spontaneously? Do you have any inkling of the years of dedication and study necessary to understand the complexities of shading, human anatomy, light, translucency, color, skin tones, shape and form, composition and all the other ingredients that combine to create artwork?
Explain to me ... the technical merit of a mural ... in a question about spring rates ... on the Suspension - Brakes - Steering forum and I will put it back ...

Deuce ...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

F-body suspension tuning

Thanks to you making it an issue, Deuce, that is exactly what I had to do - explain the technical merits of a mural on a suspension forum!

...If you find a woman so beautiful she causes a SUSPENSION of disbelief, make sure you can HANDLE her, but if she's too crazy hit the BRAKES and STEER clear!

I still have to test and tune the car and weigh it. I agree that real street tuning is different than on an autocross or smooth racetrack.

Thanks for the Carroll Smith reference. I have to reread his "Engineer to Win", a comprehensive brilliant book.

Anyone have experience trying different springs on a leaf spring car or with fiberglass leaf springs?...
Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Pretty simple really. leafs are just like coil springs. They rate the same.

I have somewhat limited experiance on leaf cars for round track.

A phone call your favorite spring manufacture will prove worthy if your time.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.