In order to sew a really tight seam, I used a smaller needle than I normally use, a size 18 instead of a size 22, and set my machine to sew 12 stitches an inch. This is a terrible idea for any other sewing of vinyl, leather, or Ultraleather, but because this was being glued down, it worked out fine. In the picture, the needle on the right is the larger size 22 needle and the other one is the size 18. You can see how much finer a needle the size 18 is.
Then it was time to glue the fabric on. I only sprayed glue on the section of the molding between the uprights. On the first molding I sprayed glue on the complete circle of fabric. After that, I found it was easier to only spray glue on the flat bottom section of the fabric. After letting the glue dry, I laid my framing square on the horizontal part of the molding to keep the glued fabric from contacting the molding. I fit the vinyl into one corner, and pressed it in place just an inch on either side of the crease. Then I stretched the vinyl over to the other corner and did the same thing on the other side. Once the two corners were set, I removed my framing square and pressed the fabric down on the middle section of the molding. I let that set up, and sprayed glue on the uprights and the upper part of the frame, but only on the inside. After that was dry, I set the fabric in place smoothing it out up each upright and finally across the upper part. This piece also I cut shorter to be able to stretch it into place.
No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-12-2009 at 03:31 PM.