Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fabricating Aluminum Intake Manifold, need help
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankalel View Post
Hello all and Happy Holidays.

I have a stroked Volvo B20 engine that I am building and will be turbocharging and I am looking into fabbing a new intake manifold out of aluminum, yes I do weld aluminum.

My question is about tuned port, pressure waves, runner size to name a few. A cursory search found this article, http://mysite.verizon.net/vzezeqah/s...ionsystems.pdf

Volvo does have a Fuel Injection manifold that I can use, but space will probably be an issue, hence the idea of creating a new intake manifold to make more room for the turbo.

This article points to pressure waves and equations for, as far as I can tell a NA engine. Do the same principles hold true for a Forced Induction?

Any help or direction is appreciated.
Make it with as big a hole as you can and get the throttle plate as close to the vales as possible. Having it the same length away is most important. If its going to be further like a log style over size the log portion to allow more air to flow. Larger tubes will also help. With itb get the plates right up to the head if possible.

Yes longer runs make more low end power but shorter ones respond gaster giving good snap and make the car more responsive even if it gives up a few hp it gains it back in a quicker charge to redline.

Most people use the Q45 throttle body its 95mm. That usally handles any engines needs. But you cant really go to big for quick reving engine. Smaller engines need more attention paid. But throttle plate can still be pretty large if the ports are the right size and shape.

In short to answer your question, yes but NO in the real world since you will never know the difference ones you blow on it. Boost will over come bad port shapes and too small a hole. Just make it bigger than it needs to be sep nice smooth taper into the port. A properly tapered port will make more power than any pther mods you can make.