Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fabricating Aluminum Intake Manifold, need help
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankalel View Post
That is what I needed to hear, I did not think that the pressure waves, length, etc, etc held that much importance when going to forced induction.

My CR is going to be right around 9:1, with a turbo I know that is higher than recommended. Can I place knock sensors on the engine to prevent detonation? If so, where on a loud and noisy 4 cylinder would be the best place?

Thanks
With all things forced induction, I tend to lean on the information from Blower Drive Service. They've been in business long enough to have done most everything there is to do with pressurizing air. Their chart shows that with 9.0:1 static compression ratio, you can run up to 6 lbs. of boost on pump gas.
Blower Drive Service: We Deliver Horse Power! - Blower Drive Systems, Blower Kits, Blower Cams, Custom Carb Service
Now, this is with hot air. I'm thinkin' that with an intercooler, you could use more boost without detonation.

I have little experience with knock sensors, being from the old school and reading spark plugs to get the tune right. I'm sure that most of the high-tech world has passed me by though. A little surfing on the web found this offering that may interest you.....
J&S Electronics SafeGuard Indivdual Cylinder Knock Control

As far as reading plugs, buy a 10X lighted exam tool, chop the ignition and coast to a stop after a power run and examine the plugs.
How to Read Spark Plugs
Reading Spark Plugs
Spark plug reading
Reading Spark Plugs Correctly
Wallace Racing - Spark Plug Reading

B&B's Spark Plug Magnifiers
Spark Plug Reading Light - Twin Cam® Cam Change Kits - Cam Chest and Oil Pump Gasket Sets - Gaskets and Gasket Kits - All Products
Comp Cams 5326 Pro 10x Spark Plug Viewer
Nitrous Express » Next Generation Nitrous Oxide Systems » Spark Plug Magnifying Glass w/Light