Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fabricating Aluminum Intake Manifold, need help
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankalel View Post
Do you mean copy the inside diameter of the stock intake manifold? The original engine size is 2.0, I am stroking it to a 2.3. Will this make a difference in tubing size? I was thinking that 1/8th of an inch for the intake runners would be thick enough?? No?

I am also planning on reinforcing the runners by welding some 1/8th inch between the runners, like webbing. The flange I agree needs to be at least 3/8 inch.

Inside the intake/plenum should I run air horns or just smooth it down with the same idea of the air horn?

Thanks again for the input!!
no go much bigger but in the same layout as the oem version. this should allow alot more flow without redesigning the car for the new manifold. With 1/4 or 1/8 you should be able to increase the inside dia. by atleast a 1/2 inch and still keep the stock locations.

the runners support a lot of wieght and using 1/4 inch thick wall pipe is usally the best way to go. but 1/8 will work as well if its gusseted up correctly.

Flow will come from much bigger holes. no need for air horns or other stuff since this is turbo it will flow a massive gulp of air everytime the valve opens. You just want to make sure that gulp is not going to be too far from the valve.

I would try to double the ID of all pipes in the intake if at all possible. Best to go too big too small will hurt performance where too big just makes it flat on the bottom end. Until the boost hits then it just needs room to breath.

I would try to slip in shorter runners. The stock ones look very long and will surely make the engine work to get its gulp of air. But I am not sure if you have any room for those types of changes.