Fabricating a dashboard - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fabricating a dashboard

I have started a project I will probably regret soon.

I have a 1974 Dodge Charger project of mine, kind of a high school side project. About a week ago I took out the gauge cluster, because new ones are needed. During that week, I decided that I want a completely new dash setup. My preferred medium was naturally fiberglass. I just don't know.... what the hell i'm doing.

I've worked with fiberglass many times before, but they were all mold jobs for fenders. I just need a little guidance, whether I should keep the original dash as a base and foam/MDF over it, or go full out and form my own. Help for a lost soul?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Go to the junkyard and look at al the other dashes in the cars. Either design off of one of them for ideas or pull a complete dash and retrofit it into your car. My son stuck a Cavalier dash into an S-Dime and it looked great. One truck that I seen in a mag had a '62 Impala interior put into a late model Chevy Dually. That was real sweet.

Kevin
Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

I don't get it, if you can pop a mold off of a fender and make a fender out of the mold what don't you know about fiberglas? Or did I misunderstand your statement? I am a wiz at glass and have repaired many glass parts as well as making my own molds and parts for myself and others including every removeable part of a 65 dodge coronet.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Always look up in a custom

Last photo:

I own a few Pontiac Fieros, and I've seen several of them with cutdown late model Firebird dashes. Very rounded and smooth looking and really updates the older looking dash.

With the fiberglassing, quick question: what do you use to make a mold?? Do you actually fiberglass a piece for the mold and then fiberglass into that, or use another material for the mold, like plast paris or something??

Russell
Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

You use fiberglass for the mold and the part.To make a mold you first prep the part you want to reproduce,this part is called a buck. It can be an original fender or some custom psrt made out of wood or whatever material you are comfortable working with,preferably as non porous as possible.Next you wax the buck with mold release wax then spray on gelcoat. This is best but not needed for a 1 time mold.then you lay your cloth and resin,how many layers depends on what you are making.This is just an over veiw if you need more detailed help let me know.Next after your mold has cured remove it and start over.wax mold spray gelcoat etc.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.