fabricating performance parts for a 305 GMC V6 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Last journal entry: pistons
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok its getting to crunch time i need to decide on a carburetor im looking at currently a Demon Road Demon or Road Demon Jr in 525 cfm models i was wondering if anyone had any experience in the road demon line and if they are easy to work on / rejet / detune or what everalso if any one has any other options that would b awsome

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

*update*

its kinda funny the reason i went with 1/4" plate for my flanges was because i had hoped it wouldn't warp or at least not warp much, ironically and also now blarringly obvious is that when it does warp it is a royal MF to get back to any semblance of straight... it seems that the slight warping i had early on and thought would just pan out after i torqued it on has increased to were it wont seal soo now i'm attacking the flanges with a grinder and flapper disks to try and get it to seat better so far its working and i should be running on four barrels by thursday... i hope...
on a lighter side i did get a baseline dino pull yesterday... i got a cool 97HP... not to bad for an engine that netted 125hp nearly 50 years ago
oh, i ended up getting a Summit Racing Street & Strip carb 600CFM that my dad got me to help me along in my project
also i have a CRAPTONNE of pic to upload so head over to my journal and check them out ...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

well the verdict is in ... i couldnt get the new manifold to fit and today to add insult to injury while trying to drive the truck home i *think* it spun a bearing ... which i think means that the engine toast, and my logic for that is that engine parts for these engines are even more scarce than the engines themselves
if anyone can refute this PLEASE let me know
*silver lining* i may, repeat MAY have a replacement V6 from a '64 if the guys @ the junkyard can find it they remember crushing the truck it came out of but cant remember what they did with the engine
also i have a friend with a chevy van that has a 350 and trans in it as a very very last resort
sad thing is i barely made it outa the town i was working on it in
... i am very unhappy to say the least...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
More for Less Racer

Cut your losses, the GMC V6 is not worth the headaches. Not the first time you've heard this, I know, but maybe (duh) there is a reason everyone is saying this . Not a good engine for someone with a small budget(or any budget, really).
Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Geez I just realized this was a 305 V6, not a 305 V8. Don't waste your time.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Too late... Check his journal.

I'd rather play with a 305 V6. You just don't see these monsters too often. I give it thumbs up.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

thx c10, i really wish that people could get their heads outa the cookie cutter small block mindset and try and appreciate some one who does NOT want to be like every other person out there who went with their cheep and easy 350 im pretty sure i can get a hold of a rebuild kit and get my truck running again and while its apart im goin to see about some custom pistons try and get my compresion ratio to 9:1 (compared to 7:1)
BTW the odo on the truck still works and reads 192k and i for all i know it could have turned over at least once so...
Old 05-15-2009, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

i give u a big thumbs up on the 305 v6 dont give up on it yet. everyone has a sbc they a getting vary old to look at when someone pops the hood
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCfive-0V6
thx c10, i really wish that people could get their heads outa the cookie cutter small block mindset and try and appreciate some one who does NOT want to be like every other person out there who went with their cheep and easy 350 im pretty sure i can get a hold of a rebuild kit and get my truck running again and while its apart im goin to see about some custom pistons try and get my compresion ratio to 9:1 (compared to 7:1)
BTW the odo on the truck still works and reads 192k and i for all i know it could have turned over at least once so...

Well this has nothing to do with cookie cutter anything, basically what you have there is an engine designed to never rev higher than 4000 rpm...hence the spun bearing.

Listen I am all for "different", but what you are trying to do (on a budget?) will become very expensive for little gain. Why not just restore it to its former glory and be happy with what it is, a good pulling truck engine designed for torque and low rpm. I have driven these trucks back in the day, I shifted at redline which was about 3500 rpm!

What are you going to do for a crank if you can't find undersize rod bearings? Can't be makin those too easily for nothing. Do what you want man, but trying to do what you want "on a budget" is ummmm...inexperienced.

You might as well look for a 478M motor for it and really pickup the torque, same engine...254 hp at redline 3700 rpm, peak torque was 442pd/ft at 1400 rpm.

Costs the same?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

One option:

Put a SBC in it if you want to actually USE the truck.

Build a stand (not hard, can even be constructed from lumber) to mount and run the V6 engine while you do the R&D on it.

When it's road-worthy, unplug the belly-button and reinstall your 305.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

well lucky me there are 2 engines in that junkyard dunno if they run but hopefully one is larger and i can get it running and in the truck but basicaly im goin to pull all 3 engines apart and see what i get.
once again i am NOT trying to make this truck pull 10s in the 1/4, and im not trying to get it to pull wheelies i started this whole project to try and see if i could even make something as complicated as an intake and sweet jesus i did, it didnt fit so what, my method was pretty sound and it would have worked great otherwise of that i am positive
hopefully soon ill have 2 more big block v6's and low and behold ill have the perfect building fixture: a spare block and heads to try and make another one on
also i wasnt hot rodding the truck when it spun the bearing i was crusing on the highway , no tach so i couldn't say how many RPM's i was pulling
besides how many kids do you know of that will put this kind of time and effort in something like this
for godsake most of them are tring to find something to bolt onto their honda or god forbid sticking on neon lights, thats just the few that are marginally mechanically inclined the rest of them have there noses so far up some girls skirts they cant tell you the time of day let alone what kind of car their parents bought them this year
Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

ive known about and researched about these old gmc 305 to 478 v-6 engines over the years,
and have factory papers and info regarding them in which i have also collected over the years

but i have never gotten to see one IRL

just too rare here in this part of the country it seems all of them were sold in the southern and western states etc, and not in the midwest.. because the midwest here sucks ***

VERy rare.

maybe some day i will get to ever see one, or even own one(dreams)

id love to get my hands on one to go through with new rings and bearings etc and actually put in a truck and have to drive.

damn.

kudos for having one and having fun with it

not fair, i hate you lol, you lucky *** ppl in states where rare things still exist suck *****
hahaha
Old 05-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCfive-0V6
...most of them are tring to find something to bolt onto their honda or god forbid sticking on neon lights, thats just the few that are marginally mechanically inclined the rest of them have there noses so far up some girls skirts they cant tell you the time of day let alone what kind of car their parents bought them this year
Don't underestimate the importance of your nose being up a skirt.

Ahhh...youth! Have fun there young gun! Keep us posted with your latest endeavours.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

believe me i im not underestimating it but im in the teen pregnancy capital of the US here half the girls my age have at least 2 kids and the rest are batting for the other team if ya know what i mean...
anyway i was basically told to make the junkyard an offer on the two engines they had there i am pretty much going to b buying condition unknown cores but neither the junkyard guys or me have any idea what the cores would be worth i was thinking $300-$400 for the pair but i was wondering if anyone here had an idea what the actual worth may be i dont want to be cheated and i dont really wanna cheat them. does that sound like a decent offer ? the only thing i have to reference on is the dodge 8.0l they had @ the same yard ... wanted $600 for it as a condition unknown core... i wanted it for my dakota and apparently they fit... at least in the aluminum viper version...
Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'd offer them $100/ea.

Cheat them? Not gonna happen. They know what they have, they're just seeing if you're willing to "give" them a deal. And, I guarantee you, they'd be glad to get anything for them- they've sat there for how long? Scarcity has nada to do w/value, at least not in THIS case.

LOW-BALL!!!

Worst thing is they say no, then the ball's in their court to set a price- a price that you then re-negotiate from.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.