fabricating performance parts for a 305 GMC V6 - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 11:03 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

I wouldn't offer more than a hundred apiece, what do you think the chances are that anyone else will ever be looking for one, as old and undesirable as these are. Always start low, you can always raise your offer, it's apples to pidgeons to try to compare these engines to the value of the modern Chrysler engine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here's a link for ya.

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/305V6.htm
Old 05-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Last journal entry: pistons
Last photo:

hmm you have a good point eric whatever they payed to get the trucks these came out of they have already gotten back so anything i am goin to offer is already profit... funny how you sometimes hafta have some one else point out the glaringly obvious *doh* i guess i havnt been thinking straight with everything thats gone on this week...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

well im am now a 305 and a 351 richer and $200 poorer i am going to be putting most of my effort into the 351. first i need to see what is holding the bell-housing on... damn thing is stuck fast, then get it mounted on an engine stand and see if i can get her to turn. i also need to find a place in town that can acid dip it to get all the gunk off and then its off to the machine shop... actually need to find a good one and get a quote first... then... going to need sleeves put in and see if i can a) get custom pistons made to bump up compression, b) get the deck height machined down for the same, or c) a combination of both.
but before any of that need to put a rack and pinion in my daily driver and do a tune up... i'm going to be busy tomorrow
btw any one know a good company that does camshaft regrinding? i would love to go to hydraulic lifters... plus breathing better is always a good thing...
Old 05-28-2009, 03:13 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Ask around for a machine shop w/a "hot tank" for getting your parts cleaned up.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Good luck with your project. Post lots of pictures, you are likely the only one sinking any money into the kind of build your doing...in the world.

We all would love to watch.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

k its been a while since my last post i have gotten the 351 torn down and its at the machine shop the block / heads / valve train have been cleaned the block is surprisingly clean not a lot of rust spots that i can see ... unfortunately i cant see all of the insides im waiting for them to magnaflux it and see if there are any cracks etc. the pistons/ rods outa this thing are huge, and in a rather neat bit of weight saving the risers for the rocker arms are made of cast aluminum pics in a sec

Five0
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

ok it seems i cant bore my block to 401ci so now i need to find some 351 pistons... anyone know of an uncle who has a box of nos gmc pistons in his attic or some other combination of estranged family member and unlikely hiding spot? i cant seem to find any one that makes pistons for it i can find 401 pistons and 305 pistons but none in between... i really dont want to start this process over again with the 305 block >_> so please does anyone know of an old machine shop or parts warehouse or what ever that may have a set?
i looked at egge but their 351 stuff seems like windsor, etc ford v8. also kanter has everything but rings and pistons for this whole rebuild here they also have the kit for the 305 if i really have to go that route
Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 AM
WFO

Last photo:

A build like this may require you to think outside of the box.

Starting w/the piston pin height and bore size, go through some catalogs and see what's in the vicinity of where you need to be. Often a piston for an entirely different app will be very close to what's needed.

With the rod journal of your crank turned down to a more common size- Ford or SBC or BBC, etc.- your chances will be multiplied many times over for finding a usable combination of parts.

As an example, a recent car mag build up of a 4" stroke SBC used Ford pistons that were spec'ed for a 347cid stroker engine, IIRC!

OTOH, if you want to keep your GMC all GMC, I would start perusing the Hemmings ads.

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

well i have a few throw *more* money at it options first: is custom pistons, second: is bore it to 4.6in and use big block pistons, have custom rods made, and have the crank resized giving me a mild stroke letting me use BB rod bearings and pistons but getting the custom length rods will be a *****...last i can have sleeves put in and still use the 401 gear... now i have not looked at prices i can imagine i would b looking at a price range of a lot to a hell of a lot... the 305 is just more economical right now and i can always come back to this block later when i have more cash
Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
WFO

Last photo:

About what length rod would the 4.6" BB piston/bearing combo need?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

well the stroke is 3.58in the pistons are much taller than normal bbc pistons and i would probably need about .5in turned off the crank to get it to bb dimensions soo maybe 7 or 7.5 in rod lengh, maybe more... just me guestimating if you look at my journal you can see the 351 piston and rod next to a sbc 350 piston there is a lot of length difference, kinda apples to oranges but it gives a sense of scale i guess
Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Yeah, that rod is pushing 8" (7.875" by my less-than accurate measurements off of the monitor), plus has a piston w/a big compression height and a very low ring pack- I'm thinking a 10" rod might fit into the crankcase, considering the rod journal needs to be turned down a lot, too.

Do you happen to know what the deck height of the block itself is?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

not a clue on the deck height... but the way that option is lookin im lookin at 2.5-3 grand just in the rotating assembly for probably zero net gain in performance. rebuilding the 305 is going to b the easy and cheep route. still kinda fun to see what throwing ridiculous amounts of cash at it might get me. ill post more as as work continues on my build
Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 AM
WFO

Last photo:

My questions revolve around a (prob.) harebrained idea that there could possibly be diesel rotators or components that may be applicable, as opposed to all custom fabbed and/or BBC racing app parts.

At least that's a possibility that has likely not been explored.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.