fabricating performance parts for a 305 GMC V6 - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCfive-0V6
...im lookin at 2.5-3 grand just in the rotating assembly for probably zero net gain in performance...still kinda fun to see what throwing ridiculous amounts of cash at it might get me.

WAIT! I know the answer to this one!

Poorer!

Seriously, if you threw the same amount of money at a BBC you would be pumping out 500HP reliably...the way your going...your going to get a bucketful of broken pistons and rods and a really heavy boat anchor.

I still don't get the point,,,yea I know the "different" thing but how much money do you need to waste to be different? Is this like the grunge movement where the nastiest looking t-shirt that costs $120 is the best?

Sorry I keep raining on this parade, can't help myself.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 06:10 PM
"Love what you do for a living

Last photo:

Have you considdered putting this engine on the bottle?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:38 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlsnk
LOL Good one!

I think the OP would settle for it heating its own water for now...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

It's a behemoth! Those rods are friggin hyoooge. I think this is 'cool' and like said, the only guy in the world doing one of htem. Maybe not your average hot rodder's cool, but I give this guy credit for having moved beyond the thought.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:02 PM

Last journal entry: pistons
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlsnk
funny that you say that... one of the bigger nitrous companies is located in my town and i get a student discount for going through the local college auto program. So... "putting it on the bottle" has been an idea i have had rolling around already...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 AM
"Love what you do for a living

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCfive-0V6
funny that you say that... one of the bigger nitrous companies is located in my town and i get a student discount for going through the local college auto program. So... "putting it on the bottle" has been an idea i have had rolling around already...
I think the engine is pretty over build and solid. I mean look at the size of the main caps and the crank journal they are huge I think they will be able to take the abuse. Just start with a 100 shot and move your way up but I wouldnt go over 200-250.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

first i know i have shirked on posting here for a while but life got pretty busy once school started back up but i finally got the parts ordered for the engine overhaul, or so i thought. i got a very friendly wake up call today telling me that the pistons for the kit i ordered are now discontinued/ out of stock and wanted to know if i would like to still keep the order. i of course said no being that my block is now .030 over and with out pistons it is now just a very heavy very useless peice of scrap iron. this leaves me with a choice: big block or small block.
... *sigh* ...
I'll be back....
Old 10-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Check here: http://www.kanter.com/truck/gmcn.html
Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

funny story Kanter is actually the people i ordered from... on the up side my moms boss has a 1980 g20 van with a TBI 350 that would run if it had gas and a new battery that he is willing to part with cheap. also any one want to buy any 305/351 V6 parts i have a surplus now ...
Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a GMC 702 V-12
Wiki Edits: 44

Still Looking at the BB V-6?

Just caught this thread and I totally agree that this is the purest sense for hot rodding. If you still have the 351 you can get used pistons for it. They will take NOS and a supercharger or turbo given the steel crank and 4 bolt mains. Sorry I didn't see this sooner, been stuck in GMC V-12 land.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

thanks for bumping this old thread. I hope GMCfive-0V6 still has that motor, I like short stroke/big bore combos and depending on where in texas he lives I would give him some money for it. I dunno how much now, but I am not afraid to take on a project like this. A GMC v6 would fit in my big van I am pretty sure tho, and I have always liked them. I love the original ads for them being good on gas... Very nice.

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/Popular.htm

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/GMCads2.htm

"SHORT STROKE DESIGN It takes less travel of the V-6 piston to produce each mile of pulling power. The result -- less friction, less heat, less wear & less expense." Almost every ad says something like that. I love it.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

im in north TX, texoma area, and i actually DO still have the motor ... well it's actually 3, 1 assembled 305 that runs but has lower end noise, another 305 thats torn apart cleaned and bored .030 over and the 351 thats is torn down and cleaned as well, i have everything off of these engines, including 2 bell-housings and a 3 speed muncie that came off the running engine. i have both the torn down engines in a shipping container so there out of the elements but they have gotten a little surface rust nothing bad though. i don't really have a use for them anymore since i droped a TBI 350 in the truck... BUT anyway, yes i am interested in selling them, just be sure to bring something big to take them away, there all freaking heavy... 800lbs and some change for the 305's!!! if you need anymore info just let me know
Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 AM

still playin' with the v6?

just wondering how is going, see been dead for while, wondering if going to get a response. af far as the 305, have on myself in a wrecker. ALWAYS starts, truck weighs 7000lb empty rolled over the scales at over 15000lb. not bad for a 3/4t chassis. rarly rev over 2500, no need....... anyway..... if still have motor(s)...... we have a bit of 305/51/79 & 401s around here.....anyway...good luck happy building.
-jon
Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 AM
MAKE EM STICK AND E.T'S QUICK

keep at it!

im new here myself but u are in the right frame of mind. just because someone hasnt done it before you does not at all mean its dumb worthless or a stupid goal. if you flip through a jegs or summit catalog every single item you see was someones "dumb idea"! im sure far enough back the candle was a "bad idea" to some one. lol just keep at it even if ther is next to no hp gain, how many other people will have what you have? and last i checked rodding was as much being unique as it was being fast and professional. do it once do it right and killem all. see you at the light.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

im kinda disappointed he couldnt get it done and had to put a sbc in it
i would have liked to see somthing cool (read different) happen there

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.