Hot Rod Forum banner

Fabricating a tranny cross member....

20K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  31ROC 
#1 ·
So, as I approach getting this clutch set, bell, and new Muncie ready to install, I'm going to have to make a crossmember to fit...(31 Model A frame), the existing crossmember which held the 700R4 in place wont work...so I'm looking for pictures/ideas for a new one. Would like to bolt it to the frame for easy access of tranny removal if needed....can I bolt a square tube member to the BOTTOM of the frame rails? Or would that not be strong? (old cross member was bolted, but to the inside sides of the rails....
Thanks in advance....

#2 ·
This isn't on a Model a..But a few I have made that might give you some ideas..If your going to bolt through a tubing you will need to weld in some little pipes spacer's for the bolts to go through,, If you just bolt through the tubing,, They will just crush the tubing and will keep getting loose over time..

Attachments

#7 ·
thats incorrect....I asked about installing a chrome pan, and wanted to know best gasket & sealant to use....its been about 25 years since I've worked on my cars, just need to get the dust out....the cross memeber will b no sweat to make, as I work for a metal fab shop, but wnated to see if anyone attached them to bottom of rails, as I am cramped for space on insides.....

#10 ·
Look at the first picture,, Think of that angle iron being the bottom lip in your car.. You can do something like that one...That car had a big block in it with a lot of HP.. didn't break anything but the tires..:D

If you do it this way,, Try to make it sit on the top of the bottom lip.. Then your bolt's are just holding it in place..

#14 ·
I have no idea, (I think you are refering to "tubing"?) I have not started mine yet....but the crossmember I took off was about 1 1/4 tubing....if you look for crossmembers at the big website suppliers, ie: Speedwaymotors.com, I believe they'll indicate what size they are. Should give you a good idea. I personaly am planning to make this new one out of square tubing....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.