Hot Rod Forum banner

Fabricating Wheel Wells

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  reddogracing 
#1 ·
I am patching the wheel wells on a car ('68 Impala) and I'm stuck on how to fit and trim the parts. I started with paper patterns which got the patches close, but I can't figure out a good way to trim them to the final shape without making them too small.
I've tried fitting them in with the quarters tacked on (can't fit them in to get the right contour without cutting them too small), tacking welding rods to the remaining wheel well to outline the fender lip so I could shape and trim the new metal without the quarters in place (the frame work wasn't close enough tot the right shape, and got in the way too much), searching for repro wells (none) and calling Desert Valley Auto Parts (none).

Sitting here, the only two ideas I can come up with are to build up a pattern by taping small pieces of cardboard together to build up an accurate pattern, or by splitting each patch down the center, matching the outer one to the quarter, the inner to the remaining well, then marking cutting out the overlap in the center.

Any thoughts on either one, or preferably a better idea?

#4 ·
This is a post from my Astro Van build on Pro-Touring.com
Here is a link if you want to read more. There is a ton of fab work here if you are interested.
The BAD AST Project - Faze II - Page 19
This is post #365 from my build thread.
"I worked all day yesterday at the real job so we didn't get out in the shop until this morning. Mel worked on the floor sections, doing a lot of grinding and cleaning up (read that making LOTS of noise and dust...)

He pulled out all of the engine cover panels and cleaned those up, finished some grinding and welding and got all of them primed. They look pretty good with some paint on them.

I made the template for the RH front filler panel

and got that cut out and fit in. Put a roll in it for the corner and put a little dink in it to finish a rib that was in the old panel.

Got it tack welded in and did a little cleanup grinding. I need to pull the tub out to finish the "dink" but this is well on it's way.

Getting the LH side set up for fabricating.

After the set up I got the rest of the old tin removed off the inner wall. To mark the outline I ran a straightedge across the gap and marked out the cut line with a marker.
I made another template out of the greenboard.

Fitting it to the outer sheetmetal.

This is where we knocked off for the day. We went in the house, had some cake and Mel headed home. Thanks Mel!"

#5 ·
Here is a pic of the wheel well, looking forward. I'm stuck trying to trim the patch to the correct contour, especially the edge where it meets the quarter panel (in red)

I got a big pack of chipboard, a heavy paper/thin cardboard, which I thought I might be able to build up a pattern piecemeal rather than trying to cut it perfectly in one piece, kind of like this, then trim the metal to that shape:

The other idea is to take the metal patch I have, which is over sized, and cut it down the middle. I could fit the outside half to the quarter, the inside half to the wheel well, then scribe and cut the overlap out, and weld the two halves together.

Thanks for the links, I will look through them.

#6 ·
Your last picture is the smart way to go. Get your outside fitting well with one piece and then make the inner piece. Also, there is nothing wrong with trimming the wheel well and getting rid of some of the offset angles. That certainly would making an accurate fit easier.

Once you have the two pieces fitted and ready to weld you can join them and be sure you will have an accurate fit.

Good luck,

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.