Hot Rod Forum banner

Fabrication tool

20K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  jayrak 
#1 ·
http://www.torchmate.com/pantograph.htm

For those of you who fabricate your own parts. This used to be made by this company but they have gone on to make digitally controlled cutting tables..Still this kind of machine is in use in many shops for cutting precision parts...Uses your existing torch or plasma cutter to cut parts with..They made the plans available for the hobby guys and small shops

Much better than freehand and grinders

OMT

#4 ·
Flame Cutter

:welcome:
Attached is a picture of a flame pattern cutter I built years ago and was published in "The Home Shop Machinist" It will trace a wooden pattern manually and cut steel plate. I have cut brake brackets, motor mounts, axle brackets ect on it. I can supply you with plans for free!

Have fun
Tom

Attachments

#19 ·
Awsome

If the board gave awards for good thinkng... You would be the winner. It seems so obvious now that I see it. I can believe I have never seen one of these before. I am familiar with CNC machines with all the complicated stepper motors and thousand dollar software packages. I think I will give builing this try.

Thanks.

#22 ·
Not free but here is another option from Steve Smith Autosports. Not only has a good flame cutting pantograph design, also has easy to make metal brake, hydraulic press (Harbor Freight press is dirt cheap and very good - probably isn't worth building your own), engine hoist (ditto the press comment), engine stand (ditto, ditto), and a chassis/body rotisserie design which is a popular question on this board. Also has some fabrication tips for the novice metal worker. Pretty good reference book, well worth the $20 tab.

#26 ·
Pantograph

acourtjester said:
:welcome:
Attached is a picture of a flame pattern cutter I built years ago and was published in "The Home Shop Machinist" It will trace a wooden pattern manually and cut steel plate. I have cut brake brackets, motor mounts, axle brackets ect on it. I can supply you with plans for free!

Have fun
Tom
Tom,
If you still have these plans available I would like a set this is just way cool!
Thank you,
David
jayrak@altelco.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.