Hot Rod Forum banner

Factory Five Racing -a different kind of kit car experiance

7K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  FASTFORD 
#1 ·
I picked up my FFR '33 hot rod kit last weekend. You might have seen their ads on the internet or magazines lately. It's loosely based on a the '33 Ford body style but with a tubular space frame, inboard IFS and fiberglass body.

The big selling points for me were it was designed around my Ford 4.6 DOHC, it has a 50/50 front rear weight bias, it has a low center of gravity with a 4-1/2" of ground clearance, and it has a super ridged tubular frame. The fiberglass body and panels hang off of steel structure and hinge off the frame - no wood. It also has an optional removable hardtop. If you take the top off, you install a roadster style windshield. Another huge selling point for me.

Is it a "reproduction" of a '33? Absolutely not, and I don't believe they ever intended it to be. The body is wider and had other alterations to make it work with the idea behind the car - a race car that looks like a '33 Ford.

I've been researching this car for the last 9 months since it was released last August. I've been to the factory and got a tour. NEVER did anyone call me to harass me. I purchased solely on quality and design of the car and the impressive operation at the factory (8 full time welders building Cobra, GTM and '33 chassis). When I was ready to order, I went online and made my order and a deposit, sent my check for the balance a week later. I pick up my kit 4 weeks after placing my order. The only calls I got were to confirm any changes to my order and confirm my pickup day.

I took 4 hours after getting it home to inventory every box (28 of them) and check every nut, bolt, bracket and assembly. There is a list of items on backorder, but I knew that going in. There is an independent website forum for the FFR kit cars and the current builders are posting their progress so I knew there were parts that are still being shipped. I'm ok with that, they ship the back ordered part free of charge and I'm in no hurray. I have another project I'm working on so I won't really be doing much till fall.

I'm sure there will be some obstacles as I build the car, but so far, it has been an awesome experience. The FFR team is AWSOME and great group to deal with. With all the negativity about kit cars lately, I thought I'd share a good experience.

See less See more
#3 ·
Congratulations, I know your excited, that car will be far more fun than your bucket. I have been following the F5 site also and lamenting the fact that I bought a Gibbon instead of what you got. That is going to make one sweet ride.....except for the Ford engine :D .

Lets see some pics of the kit.

Will we see it at the NSRA meet in Louisville?

Vince

#6 · (Edited)
That car is so bad ahz that you have NO IDEA!

That's our next car.

Two things really sold me about that car.

1. It mirrors Chip Foose's HemisFear IFS, which to me is teh ultimate IFS.
2. When it was being designed, one of the mandates was that it perform better than the bread-n-butter FFCobra on a road course and DID!

ps. Make sure you paint the front end tubes so that you can build the car without having to paint at a later time.

pps. Be sure to pick up the latest issue of Street Rodder Magazine. They are building one right now and part one of the build is in the present issue on the stands.

ppps. When you go to add the windshield, consider a Hallock or a Duvall. That would REALLY set the car off!

#7 ·
JGK95 said:
Be sure to pick up the latest issue of Street Rodder Magazine. They are building one right now and part one of the build is in the present issue on the stands.
When I went to the factory back in February, I got a heads up from another '33 builder that Dave Perewitz was building one for the Street Rodder tour, so we swung by Perewitz's shop and were able to get a sneak peek. I got to see the car complete last month when I went out again.

Attachments

#12 ·
cboy said:
Oh man George, that sends a tingle up my spine just seeing the pictures. What a great project that is going to be and there is no doubt you are the guy who can pull it off. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm a little envious. I'd love to be in your shoes right now.
My thoughts EXACTLY.

Vince

#13 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I had to liqudate to pony up the cash to buy the kit, and even then had to do a little creative financing to hold me over. I still have a '61 pickup to sell, but then it will all even out. I'm working on a '55 Thunderbird for a friend to make some extra money to buy stuff like wheels and tires, piant and body supplies for the '33. I hope to make the '33 my own with some custom details. We'll see how it goes.

The Tbucket was cool, but having a top will be nice on long trips. That has been sold, but I kept the blower motor to put in this car. The mustang I rebuilt was nice and had a roof, but it wasn't a hot rod. That is also gone now. I had a '31 model A 2dr sedan body I was going to build, but found there are too small and cramped, plus very uncomfortable to drive with a chopped top, so I sold that body too. Hopefuly the '33 brings it all together for me and I can enjoy driving it.

#15 ·
Arrowhead said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I had to liqudate to pony up the cash to buy the kit, and even then had to do a little creative financing to hold me over. I still have a '61 pickup to sell, but then it will all even out. I'm working on a '55 Thunderbird for a friend to make some extra money to buy stuff like wheels and tires, piant and body supplies for the '33. I hope to make the '33 my own with some custom details. We'll see how it goes.

The Tbucket was cool, but having a top will be nice on long trips. That has been sold, but I kept the blower motor to put in this car. The mustang I rebuilt was nice and had a roof, but it wasn't a hot rod. That is also gone now. I had a '31 model A 2dr sedan body I was going to build, but found there are too small and cramped, plus very uncomfortable to drive with a chopped top, so I sold that body too. Hopefuly the '33 brings it all together for me and I can enjoy driving it.
yanno, being your putting the engine in pretty much a race car that looks like a '33 Ford, you should consider some new performance upgrades for the engine.. I'm sure the blown 4.6 could get a little hotter :D

#16 ·
Well I definatly want to run a hood and hood sides. So if I run the blower, it gonna stick out of the hood. That kind of goes against the theme of the car though, having a drag inspired motor in a road race type car. But like they say "run what ya brung". I think I'll build it with the blower, and maybe turbos as a future project if I can fit them under the hood.

I did this very crude cut and paste, but I'll have to wait till I mock up the motor to see how far the scoop really sticks out. The lakester headers won't work either the way the doors are cut, plus they are suicide style.

matt167, don't worry, there's plenty left in it. The weak link is the auto transmissions. :welcome:

Attachments

#18 ·
If you're going to run a blower then you might consider not putting on the hood skirts. The heat kept inside by fiberglass sounds at least in theory like a bad idea. Heck, if I had that block in that car, I'd run it without a hood or try and build it as a bonneville salt flat racer theme.

#20 ·
Factory Five had a display at the Street Rod Nats East this past weekend.

my friends & I spent about 15 minutes looking over a finished frame, then another 15 checking out a finished car.

1 word...excellent !

they had a special show price for a kit :sweat: $19,000

I can only dream.

the rep told us they hope to have a fender package available in the next few months. I would like to see that. :cool:

#21 ·
FASTFORD said:
Factory Five had a display at the Street Rod Nats East this past weekend.

my friends & I spent about 15 minutes looking over a finished frame, then another 15 checking out a finished car.

1 word...excellent !

they had a special show price for a kit :sweat: $19,000

I can only dream.

the rep told us they hope to have a fender package available in the next few months. I would like to see that. :cool:

Here's a sneak peek at the fenders:

They are also working on a motcylce style fender package as well.

The price tag does seem high, but when you consider the completeness of the kit, you would be hard pressed to buy all the parts (new) to build one for less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.