Factory Hood Blanket/Insulation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Factory Hood Blanket/Insulation

My GMC truck once had a factory insulation blanket on the underside of the hood, and it appeared to be fiberglass. When my son got it wet during a mudding session, it just slowly fell apart and came off the hood. I can buy a replacement hood blanket from LMC truck, but it would have the same limits as the old one (it might fall apart again).

Is there another material that would work better, and hold up well under the hood? The hood is pre-punched for flat plastic retainers that hold the insulation, so I don't have to use adhesive to keep it on unless it would work better. I would like to find something that comes in one large piece, big enough to cover the hood, and that I could buy locally. I am mostly interested in engine noise control, not insulating the hood from heat.

Thanks,

Bruce

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

There's the large rolls of foam insulation with foil on one side and self adhesive backing, peel & stick. Come in many thicknesses.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM

I may try the foil insulation blanket, since its easy to buy at the local home stores. However, I would think that the foil surface would reflect noise, and may not provide as much sound control.

I'm running an SBC with severe duty thermal fan clutch, low gears (4.10) and no overdrive (TH350) which means engine noise from moving parts at 60-65 MPH is fairly high. If I didn't have a tach to verify that I'm only at about 2800-3000 RPM, the sound would make me think I am over-reving the engine.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

The LMC hood insulation would work fine. Just try to keep water off of it. By that I mean don't hit it with the wand at the car wash or turn the hose directly on it. They seen to have some kind of a coating that helps to repel the water somewhat. They will stain over time but will not deteriorate unless you poke holes or damage it with the car wash wand. I've replaced a few using LMC. Also when you order them (if you do) make sure you order the plastic clips that hold them in. No more expensive than they are it's not worth it to try and save the old ones.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.