Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fan Clutch Bad After 400 miles?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 04:31 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fan Clutch Bad After 400 miles?

Today I was wringing first gear out in the white caprice and somewhere around 5000 rpms i heard bangbangbang! I let off the gas quickly, pulled over, shut car off and popped the hood. I saw that the corners of my fan blades had a some marks on them, really strange, so I grabbed the fan and I could wiggle it back and forth. I'm guessing there's a sealed bearing in the back of the fan clutch because its moving where the shaft thats bolted to the waterpump goes into the back of the fan clutch, it's also very oily at this spot. I found a spot on edge my crank pulley that was nicked by the fan blade, so I know what the bang bang was.

This fan clutch has about 400 miles on it, it's a NAPA part. Have any of you guys had this happen to you or anyone you know because it's a first for me. I'm very lucky it wouldn't have been much longer before it sent my fan flying off. I'm going to get my money back for the part and invest it in a good flex fan.