Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fan Clutch Bad After 400 miles?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 09:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I was driving across West Virgina in the Motor home and the 7 blade clutch fan lost a blade. I was doing about 60 and heard a ting and looked in the rear view mirror. I didnt see anything and watched the guages for several miles. Nothing appeared wrong and I hadnt seen anything in the mirrow so I didnt know what had happened. The first time I came to a stop it was shaking so bad you couldnt see out of the mirrors. I was afraid to shut it down thinking it might not restart. I limped to Ohio at a relatives house. It was shaking real bad but started right up. We went over that thing for 2 days trying to find the cause of the shake. I figured it had lost a piece of the harmonic balancer or something. It had a 400 small block in it. You really couldnt see the fan well from the top as everything is real tight. The way I found it was someone else was runnning it while I was laying under it. When he shut it off the fan came to a stop and the went backwards about 1/2 turn. Thats when I examined the fan real close and saw the missing blade. Its amazing how a 7 blade fan looks like none are missing when it has 6 left.