Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fan Clutch Problems
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
I was thinking of doing that. It is a flex a lite brand clutch after all so somehow, this doesn't surprise me. Will somewhere like O'Rielly's have these fan clutches or where would I find these locally? What is the real difference between standard and heavy-duty clutches? Does the heavy-duty clutch engage at a lower temperature than the standard one?
To the best of my knowledge the HD have a heavier body with deeper fins, and stay engaged to higher rpms. I cannot verify if they engage at lower temps. Mostly these are found on towing vehicles that might be doing higher rpms in lower gears going up hills and need extra rpm engagement for cooling.

I do know that persons with very heavy duty factory fans have installed the standard clutches and the vehicle ran hot. Maybe the fans were too much for the clutch, maybe the clutches were bad. ??

I don't know which stores carry which brands. You might go online and get a part number and then make some calls to see if they have it in stock.