fan relay - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 07:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post fan relay

does anybody how the wiring goes on a fan relay. the relay has four connectors in the bottom how does this wire up? please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2003, 07:41 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Usually 2 are power and 2 are the contacts to turn the fan on. You didn't say what style relay it is. If it's a bosch style I have a diagram if not you'll need a volt/ohm meter to ring out the curcuit

Regards
Mark
Old 06-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Yo, Jag daddy, can you send me a pm with a copy of this secamatic? Thanks
Slider in Wa.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:23 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Bad and Slider, several months ago, either Kevin, Turbo S10 or Willys 36 posted some neat wiring schematics that included electric fan hookuops. I copied thes to file and they have all been handy. Unfortunately, the way I copied them left out the thread info. If you search back several months, you will find them or send me a PM with your e address and I will send you a copy of my file.

Trees
Old 06-05-2003, 04:58 AM
BUILD IT RIGHT, TWIST IT TIGHT !!!

Last photo:

hey man if you go to
www.producteng.com
they have a neat fan/fuel pump wiring chart ( or it maybe only fuel) anyway you can get an idea from them to have your wiring needs to go. I bought their wiring fuel pump relay kit not bad 42.00 for all the relays and already assembled with the wires and all.

just my 2 cents hope it works.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Relay info

Cheap and dirty cooling fans - I think the temperature switches have come down in price, so you might be just as well off checking somewhere like SUmmit or Jegs for that instead of the water heater switch.

As for your relay, if you have terminals marked 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87a (some don't have 87a and you won't use it for this application) then it's what's called a BOSCH relay. That's only the type of relay, not necessarily the MFGR so it likely won't even say Bosch on it. Relays take the load off of the switch you use to turn the fan off and extend their life.

85 and 86 are your switches - power to one and ground to the other will close the contacts inside and connect 87 and 30. It doesn't matter if you hook your fan to 87 or 30, as long as the battery is hooked up to the other side. Use an inline fuse within a foot of the battery. For reference, 30 and 87a are closed when there is no power across 85 and 86.

Last edited by Stinkin_V8; 06-11-2003 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:28 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

I took a look at his schematics for the fan cooling system, the biggest problem I found was using that thermostat the fans will come on even if the car is just sitting. He needs to dump the tremostat for a themal switch plumbed into the cooling system. On a hot day those under hood temps could have that fan running ALL the time. Oh and he said he used a fan from a Citation, it's probibly woefully to small in the CFM department

Regards
Mark
Old 06-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Go Pokes!

Last photo:

To wire the relay:
87-To (elec.fan,elec. fuel pump,elec.water pump,etc).
86-To switch that turns the relay on.(12 volt)
85-To ground.
30-To constant battery power.(12 volt)
Old 06-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Jag Daddy,

The only way the fan would run when the engine's not running is if you just parked it and the engine was still warm. I've heard that this is better for the engine rather than letting it cool just by sitting there. It should only run for a few minutes after the vehicle is shut off, but I still don't like the idea of a fan drawing up to 55 amps (depending on the fan, of course) when I walk away from the vehicle. You could just change the +12V input from the battery to a +12V ACC or IGN line and it would only run when the key is on.

As for fans, I like the '96 Taurus. It used a 2-speed fan - one speed can go to the thermal switch and the other speed can be triggered by the AC compressor.

Last edited by Stinkin_V8; 06-11-2003 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:18 PM

I'm using 2001 T/A fans for my '79 El Camino with a somewhat modified 355, stock water pump, and aluminum radiator. It ran 2000-2500 rpm sitting in the garage for about 20minutes and never got past 180 degrees. The fans really kick.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:50 AM

Quote:
The only way the fan would run when the engine's not running is if you just parked it and the engine was still warm. I've heard that this is better for the engine rather than letting it cool just by sitting there. It should only run for a few minutes after the vehicle is shut off, but I still don't like the idea of a fan drawing up to 55 amps (depending on the fan, of course) when I walk away from the vehicle. You could just change the +12V input from the battery to a +12V ACC or IGN line and it would only run when the key is on.
I use a cheap 12V timer circuit to run the fan for 2 minutes after shutdown. Auto switch off after 2 minutes. Works well.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.