a fast formula HELP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 11:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

a fast formula HELP!

my bro couldnt get on so he is on mine. hey i have a 79 firebird formula with a 350 chevy dished pistons(cast) 76 cc truck heads, performer rpm (air gap) and a small but barly noticeable cam. th350 tranny and stock gears. the original motor was a olds 403cid. i am in the process of putting a performer rpm cam and my brothers fuelie heads, and some 373s from his friend. how fast in the quarter mile do you think i will be, will i go faster than the olds did ( being big block) it runs good and will pull away from his black 89 camaro vary fast (305cid tbi) and he has 273s or somthing like that. how fast will i be in the quarter? and what else do i need?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2004, 02:56 AM

if you're going to use those heads i'd have them cut down as close to 70 cc's as possible or just get on ebay or some of those used parts for sale sites,and there are many so take your time and find a better set of heads.you didn't say what size the valves are in yours but you most likely need to lower your compression.
everyone seems to think the vortec heads are the hot ticket these days because of price but i'll have to say i think in the long run you can do better.i bought a set of iron bowties 2 yrs. ago and had 2.05 valves put in before they were sent to me for less than $850.00 and i am very happy with them and the'll last forever having alot of extra material in the for porting.
so if you do some work to your heads or get new ones and start with a good electical system like MSD,carburation,intake asyou mentioned,headers and exaust and finally cam you should be set to hit the 12-13 sec. range.the rpm or torker cam should be good for a light car like yours.
you want about 180 lbs. of cylinder pres. if you can get it.i've used 350 head gaskets as opposed to a shim on my 406 in the past to help with this.good luck.
p.s. remember to use quality parts beause the time spent down and the money spent twice is just harder and more expensive.also you're going to need a tork converter.about 2800 stall.tci,coan,j.w. perf.trans,b&m,hughes,buaman,art carr,
its important not to go cheap here.go online with a converter company and describe your set-up and give them your cam srecs. and they will get you the right converter.i exspect it will be around 2800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Gonenova has given you a good start.

Just for reference sake keep in mine the 89 TBI camaro had a whopping 170 hp. So hopefully when your done your going to absolutely scream by that thing.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.