Fast-MSD-Edelbrock TBI Fuel Injection for SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fast-MSD-Edelbrock TBI Fuel Injection for SBC

Anyone using one the TBI systems from MSD, Fast or Edelbrock on a SBC?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

Yes!! No!! and Yes!!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
Yes!! No!! and Yes!!
What models did you try and did they work good?

How was cold start, idle, performance and mileage?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There is a fairly decent forum for the MSD/Atomic EFI : MSD Atomic EFI

If I can see my way clear financially this spring, I will be changing over to the MSD/ATOMIC as it appears to be the least problematical to set up and simplest to maintain
Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

I will be switching over to the MSD Atomic EFI setup next year. I would have done it this year but the wife wants a shell for her 2004 GMC Sierra....
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Last journal entry: Motor and Trans
Last photo:

my buddy just purchased the 1000hp FAST system and when his 70 Nova returns from paint we will be installing the 406 with fast system. hoping it is a good system to be able to drive to car shows from now on.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

I run the Powerjection III. Love it. Adaptive learn works great, yet still allows you to open things up and program fuel curves yourself. It also has spark control and is Boost or N2O ready out of the box, which the other's are not. Says it's a 750 swap for marketing but actually is rated at 930cfm. Also looks the most like a carb. PJIII will support more HP as well. Stock it handles 600HP, with a simple swap to 80# injectors and bigger fuel pump you are good to 750HP. I plan on 2000cc injectors this spring and twin turbos for around 1000hp. I like that I can keep a laptop in the car and program on the fly. I have a separate tune for nitrous and can swap out on at a light with one button click.

Last edited by Landshark928; 02-26-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark928 View Post
I run the Powerjection III. Love it. Adaptive learn works great, yet still allows you to open things up and program fuel curves yourself. It also has spark control and is Boost or N2O ready out of the box, which the other's are not. Says it's a 750 swap for marketing but actually is rated at 930cfm. Also looks the most like a carb. PJIII will support more HP as well. Stock it handles 600HP, with a simple swap to 80# injectors and bigger fuel pump you are good to 750HP. I plan on 2000cc injectors this spring and twin turbos for around 1000hp. I like that I can keep a laptop in the car and program on the fly. I have a separate tune for nitrous and can swap out on at a light with one button click.

Woo-Woo!!. Looks like some really nice work. That would be a tough ride to keep up with down I-95. Have you had it on a dyno yet and what where the numbers??.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

these systems seem mighty pricy for a tbi system
the msd one I looked at doesn't do ign. only fuel
and at 2200-2400 a tad much..
at least the holley set up does fuel and spark.. and self learn and open up and tune.. and at a lower price point..

2200-2400 is multi port efi pricing..
the holley multi port kit that use used any carb based intake (must have injector bun drilled) after you buy the injectors is under 2400
1795.00+ 8 injectors, machine intake, fuel pump will be at about 2400..
for multy port, self learn,tunable efi with spark control..

the msII is even cheaper.. 278 (ecu) harness(80) tbi (junkyard 45 bucks)
fuel pump 100 and fuel lines,,
only self learn is if your package is close to someone elses thats on the diy autotune forum.. and you download their tune to get you up and running..

over 2k for a tbi set up that can't do ign spark is silly,, no idea if the other 2 do spark.. the fast when I looked was 3500 for multi so I stopped looking.. as thats way over my budget,,

is drop it on and go really work that prem. pricing , for 1976 tech..
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Woo-Woo!!. Looks like some really nice work. That would be a tough ride to keep up with down I-95. Have you had it on a dyno yet and what where the numbers??.
572RWHP on a Dynojet NA. 744RWHP with a 200hp shot of N20 running a little rich.

The PJIII starts around $1500.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM

What I'm looking for is better fuel economy, currently running a dual plane with an Edelbrock carb. Cold starts are good and once warmed up it runs great at all temperature ranges.

I'm currently getting about 16 mpg but would like to see 20+, had hoped TBI might get me a little better economy. I contacted MSD and they said "you might see 2-3% better economy over a properly tuned carb setup" when using their Atomic EFI. Even at todays gas prices it would take a long time to recoup the cost of an EFI system.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:17 PM

TBI help

I have installed a number of these systems and thought I'd add some of my personal thoughts.

I do not mess with carbs anymore. For less than $1500 I can get a TBI system without all the hassles of a carb.

TBI is much better than a carb. Simpler to tune and makes a bit more HP(5-10), has better throttle response, and better mileage. Don't waste your money on a multiport system that uses a distributor. They just are not exact enough regarding timing accuracy--nothing is wrong with them, but they do not appear to have any benefit over a TBI. That is why GM went to a crank system with individual coils and upgraded from the 24 tooth wheel to the 58.

If you have the funds, a port based system with a crank fire ignition is great. If not, a TBI is hard to beat.

Currently, I am running an LS 454 clone that was originally set up for a carb, but I switched over to TBI and have never been happier. It is an odd set-up, but the parts were secondhand and cheap....

Once you have some experience with these you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Landshark, that is really cool.

It must be a ton of fun.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff8407 View Post
Once you have some experience with these you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Jayd,
I have/had two Holley's that I've spent hours, days, weeks, months attempting to tune for both performance and mileage. I can safely say that I've never had the success that I expected I would be able to achieve. I have to admit though, that I'm not a twenty year veteran of Holley/carb tuning, but I've put in the time researching and trying different things with both - the carbs I've messed with the most are both vac secondaries and double pumper Holley's. The end result has always wound up being a sacrifice in fuel economy for performance.

Our winter project has been converting a 327 SBC from carb to EFI. We used an MSII with a factory (L98) TPI setup. The inital startup and idle tune - less than hour. That inlcudes getting it to start cold and hot. The ability to change the idle quality based on coolant and intake temp and keep it inline with AFR readings is AMAZING. We've done some burnouts in the driveway, but have not run down the road yet due to weather (soon, though, if the local weather guesser is correct.)
Regarding idle quality, I couldn't get the Holley to idle above 12". The TPI setup idles at almost 15" and is crisper off idle. To get this done it took less than a 1/2 hour of tuning.

In terms of money, we have less than $1500 total in the EFI. The Holley and intake were definitely less, about $550. We'll see how the mileage turns out, but I have to assume we'll be pushing the old 10 mpg number up a quite a bit. Also we'll be taking it back to the dyno to see what we can get out of it.

Good luck and X2 on Jeff8407's info - Jim

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.