Fasteners ... 18.8 Stainless or Grade 8 ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fasteners ... 18.8 Stainless or Grade 8 ?

Hi,

I've ordered and received a whole bunch of 18.8 stainless-steel bolds, nuts, and washers in a few of the popular sizes.

Most of the chassis hardware that I have removed has a Grade 8 headmark on it, and now I'm having second thoughts on using the stainless to replace them.

I've been told that the 18.8 specification is a pretty good grade of steel, but then again ... I've had someone tell me that stainless galls up the threads really easy when you tighten it ... indicating to me that it's too soft?

I'd really like to use the stainless, for both it's anti-corrosive and appearance properties. Painted bolts are OK I guess ... apperance wise ... but we all know that wrenches/sockets don't fit right and that it chips off when you try to assemble it, right?

The other possibility might be to use all new cadmium-plated grade 8. Can anyone attest to the anti-rust properties of the cad-plated fasteners?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Hi,

I've ordered and received a whole bunch of 18.8 stainless-steel bolds, nuts, and washers in a few of the popular sizes.

Most of the chassis hardware that I have removed has a Grade 8 headmark on it, and now I'm having second thoughts on using the stainless to replace them.

I've been told that the 18.8 specification is a pretty good grade of steel, but then again ... I've had someone tell me that stainless galls up the threads really easy when you tighten it ... indicating to me that it's too soft?

I'd really like to use the stainless, for both it's anti-corrosive and appearance properties. Painted bolts are OK I guess ... apperance wise ... but we all know that wrenches/sockets don't fit right and that it chips off when you try to assemble it, right?

The other possibility might be to use all new cadmium-plated grade 8. Can anyone attest to the anti-rust properties of the cad-plated fasteners?
Stainless is good for things like exzaust clamps but, By my chart I have, a 7/16"-20 stainless has a max torque spec of 28 ft/ lbs and a grade 8 will take 95 ft/lbs. Go with painted bolts, use a high heat paint, then heat it up gently with a torch, it turns hard and will not chip. The cadium and zinc plated bolts are designed so the plating will corrode off b4 the metal rusts, extending the time b4 the bolt forms rust. Stainless will also lock into regular steel threads as time goes by.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Really the Pits
Last photo:

18-8, aka 304, nominally has 18% chrome and 8% nickel. While it's ultimate tensile stress is fairly high, it's yield strength is fairly low (70K and 30K if memory serves). It will gall unless you you anti-sieze on the threads. Even then it is suspect.

I would limit it's use to cosmetic, low stress environments. Stick with cad plated grade 8 hardware for you suspension and chassis if you have a driver. When the cad plating starts to deteriorate, replace them.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Ground Clearance Is Over-Rated

Last photo:

I just did a suspention lift on my Toyota pick up, and I have agree with everyone on this. Grade 8 all the way. There is just less risk involved, espeially considering that your entire vehicle is riding on these bolts, at least it was for me.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.