Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fatman/39 La Salle
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Well over a dozen views and no responses ...

I believe that a big GM vehicle such as the LaSalle is to heavy for a Pinto/Mustang II suspension. The donor car is a good bit lighter in weight than the LaSalle. The wheelbase is a lot shorter. The original track width is more narrow. It was designed to be used with a 9 inch brake rotor.

Now I understand that some of these issues can be addressed and upgrades made ( like the brake rotor size ) ... but the factory engineered suspension design for a light weight disposable economy car has to be a concern ... at least to me. Go find a similar era vehicle ( mid 70's ... 74 to 78 ) with a comparable weight and wheelbase of the LaSalle ... and look at the A arms and suspension ... then compare them to a Pinto/Mustang II A arm and suspension. Vast difference ...
The aftermarket "Mustang II" suspensions are not built the same way as the original cars' were; they are MUCH beefier. They are referred to as "Mustang II" suspensions because they use the original design concepts and geometries. But if you put an original MII suspension side-by-side with an aftermarket suspension from Fat Man and the others, you'll see a HUGE difference. The aftermarket kits are also built to use large brake systems.

I would have no worries using one IF the manufacturer builds a kit specifically for your model.

Just make sure to read up on the posts in this forum on how to improve the aftermarket kits for better safety. And speak to the manufacturer about your application.

Hope this helps.

Antny