Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fatman/39 La Salle
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Dog
MII Kits
56?" Hub-to-Hub
58?" Hub-to-Hub
60?" Hub-to-Hub

- a quick phone call or email to one of the Fatmans engineers would really be warranted if you have any real concerns.
The different widths are just a widened crossmember ... the A arms are still the same short little length Ford designed for Pinto over 30 years ago.

Do you really believe that a Fatman sales person will tell you his product is not perfect for your project ??

A Pinto/Mustang II front end is great for 33 - 34 Ford or Chevrolet ... or similar weight vehicle.

A friend of mine worked for Brent ... for years. Failures are not publicized but I know of at least 5 suspension failures ... 2 with Pinto/Mustang and 3 with welded drop spindles. Thousands SOLD ... How many installed and on the road with thousands of miles ?

This is not meant to bag on Fatman ... just the Pinto/Mustang II based suspension under too heavy vehicles. Knew a fellow who put a Pinto/Mustang II under a 35 Buick. He used a Fatman kit. After a thousand or so miles ... the tires were wearing badly. He had it re-aligned. It was off a fair amount. After a thousand or so miles ... the tires were wearing badly again. He took it to the alignment shop ... it was off. The A arms were bending. He had already installed heavier coil springs to help hold up the 35 Buick and the 455/400 turbo he had installed. With all that much spring rate ... and the weight of the 35 Buick bent the Pinto/Mustang II A arms. His were original OEM Ford ones so he bought a set of aftermarket tubular ones ... 2 thousand miles and the same thing.

I have also heard of the lower bolt breaking ... so I copied this from another post on the Pinto/Mustang II IFS failures

IFS failure = tragic results

QUOTE ...

I had heard of bolts breaking, but it looks like this time the crossmember itself ripped apart.

Was that a Heidts Superride setup?

Or a TCI setup?

Both are big names in the MII kits.

The way the lower A arms mount below the crossmember on that triangular mount instead of through the crossmember looks like it is. There is an awful lot of stress on that little 4" width of metal, with no gussets to put some of the stress back into the crossmember..

It's a good thing no one was hurt.

Later, mikey
END OF QUOTE

Just my opinion ... everyone is entitled to their own. But you can only fool Mother Nature so long ...