Faulty Horn Honk - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Faulty Horn Honk

Why does my horn honk intermittently when I turn the steering wheel? It happens when I am turning sharp in reverse or forward at low speed such as backing out of my garage.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Last photo:

Could be the spring loaded contact under the steering.

Vince
Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Spring Under Steering Wheel

Thanks Vince.

Please explain why and how it could be the spring under the steering wheel and what the possible fix may be.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Is it a GM column? Has the turn signal lever been replaced recently?

I had the same problem on a street rod when I put cruise control on it. It had the style of GM turn signal lever that attaches to the switch with a screw and the lever seated in a tapered slot. The new turn signal switch lever I installed was too wide at the base to fit in the tapered slot. Which caused a problem EXACTLY like you are describing.

The solution was to take the wheel back off, remove the TSS lever and grind the tapered edges down until it would fit properly. I have also had the same problem with every turn signal lever of this style I have replaced in the last five years. It seems to be a problem the manufacturer is either unaware of, or more likely, unconcerned with.

Otherwise, it could be that the horn wire in the column is worn bare and rubbing on the steering shaft under certain conditions. Could be a lot of things, I guess.....

Hope this helps.

Joe G.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:25 PM

faulty horn.

Hey Joe.
Yes. it is an Ididit column GM style.
You mention the horn wire possibly being worn bare...... It is actually totally exposed with no insulation. What should the spring look like?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Does this help any?
(click for link)

If not, hang on. I'm looking for a good exploded view of the horn contact components......
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM

Faulty Horn

Joe. Thanks...looks just like mine.
Question..... is the spring a conductor and could it be touching metal as the wheel turns? ..... for something so simple I am at a loss for what the springs function actually is......
Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40forddgc
Joe. Thanks...looks just like mine.
Question..... is the spring a conductor and could it be touching metal as the wheel turns? ..... for something so simple I am at a loss for what the springs function actually is......
The spring in the horn brush tube (about the diameter of a pencil) is hot. It triggers the horn relay when it gets grounded. On a stock GM steering wheel, the function of the spring is to hold the horn brush against the horn button mechanism on the back of the wheel. On aftermarket steering wheels, there is usually a wire that connects from inside the tube to a spade connector on the back of the horn button.

Is any of this helping? Or are you talking about a different spring?

Joe G.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Last photo:

That is an excellent explanation Joe. Probably what has happened is the little barbed piece that you push in and turn to lock in the spring loaded button has gotten buggered.

Vince
Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 AM

Faulty Horn.

Thanks Joe...... so maybe when the steering wheel is turning the spring is touching when it shouldn't?..... what if I insulate (tape)...the spring except for the very top where it touches the steering wheel when the horn button is pushed?.....By the way...it is an aftermarket steering wheel.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40forddgc
Thanks Joe...... so maybe when the steering wheel is turning the spring is touching when it shouldn't?..... what if I insulate (tape)...the spring except for the very top where it touches the steering wheel when the horn button is pushed?.....By the way...it is an aftermarket steering wheel.
The spring should not be protruding from the tube. If it is, there is something missing, or buggered, like Vince said. With an aftermarket steering wheel, I would expect to see a wire like this one connected to the horn contact tube:

Here is what it looks like installed, before the steering wheel adapter is installed:

The black tube around the wire extends through the un-threaded hole in the steering wheel adapter, and the spade terminal connects to the back of the horn button.

If it has a GM style steering wheel, there should be a solid metal contact pin, a spring, and a plastic 1/4 turn retainer in the horn contact tube, which should be assembled as shown in this video:
(click for video)

Hope this answers your question.

Joe G.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Faulty Horn

Thanks Joe
I Will Re Install It And See What Happens.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

You're welcome.

Good Luck.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 AM

Turn Signal Horn Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G
Is it a GM column? Has the turn signal lever been replaced recently?

I had the same problem on a street rod when I put cruise control on it. It had the style of GM turn signal lever that attaches to the switch with a screw and the lever seated in a tapered slot. The new turn signal switch lever I installed was too wide at the base to fit in the tapered slot. Which caused a problem EXACTLY like you are describing.

The solution was to take the wheel back off, remove the TSS lever and grind the tapered edges down until it would fit properly. I have also had the same problem with every turn signal lever of this style I have replaced in the last five years. It seems to be a problem the manufacturer is either unaware of, or more likely, unconcerned with.

Otherwise, it could be that the horn wire in the column is worn bare and rubbing on the steering shaft under certain conditions. Could be a lot of things, I guess.....

Hope this helps.

Joe G.
Hey Joe. I just wanted to let you know that your suggestion worked. The turn signal screw head was to tall and touching the horn hot circuit when I turned the wheel..... I ground it down and no more horn honk. It has been since November 08 that you recommended that fix and I just got around to it yesterday......just in time for the street rodding season. Thanks again.
Doug

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.