Faux Leather - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Faux Leather

There are more of these products than I can imagine! I have searched for the name brands that have been mentioned here, some are available to an individual, some are not, and some I cannot find. Nothing available locally.
Based on the information from those of you who are knowledgable in this field, I am looking to puchase:
1. Polyurethane material or polyurethane/recycled leather
2. Heavy duty 100,000 rubs rated
3. Automotive rated
4. 4 way stretch if possible (Is this critical?)
5. Available to me online (acceptable color/texture)

I have ordered samples of Kovi K8685, K8588, and K9746. Any comments on this product or recomendations for a product suitable to do the complete interior in a 1930 Ford coupe. Something Nice.
Thank you in advance, Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

As far as I know, there are no 4 way stretch 100% polyurethane fabrics. They are generally pretty stretchy, just not 4 way stretch. Unless you're trying to cover a motorcycle seat , jet ski seat or ATV seat, I would forget about 4 way stretch vinyl. It actually causes more problems when trying to do a car seat.

The recycled or re-cast leathers have a 100% polyurethane face, and are not very stretchy at all. To be honest, I have stopped recommending both of those products to my customers if used on car seats. They just aren't wearing very well despite all their claims of 100,000 and 200,000 rub Wyzenbeek tests.

I would recommend automotive grade or marine grade vinyl. Spradling makes them and also Morbern, and there are others too. Here is one online supplier: Marine Boat Vinyls (Seating)

If you want a vinyl that looks a lot like leather, I would go with Whisper or Rave, both by Spradling. Whisper has a prominent grain with a flat finish and Rave has the same grain with a little shinier finish. Both are very soft and leather-like. Another good choice is Symphony, also a prominent grain and like Rave.

I was just reminded of another good choice, Gran Reserva by Enduratex. This is a blend of polyurethane and poly vinyl chloride (vinyl) on its face, with a microfiber backing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	76707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	76708  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 08-16-2013 at 01:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanTwoLakes For This Useful Post:
in2deep (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:02 PM

Are any of these referred to as Ultra leather? I don't mean to hi jack the thread. I did my coupe in what was called ultra leather and have since been informed that more than one manufacturer calls there product ultra leather. Please give us more info, you seem really informed on this.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You're not hijacking the thread, that is a logical question to ask. Ultraleather is a brand name for a 100% polyurethane faced fabric. Ultraleather was the first one to offer this fabric, and since then any 100% polyurethane faced fabric has been called Ultraleather as a generic name. Now there are dozens of different companies that offer them. They can't call them Ultraleather because the original company has the trademark for that name.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 08-17-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Whisper gets a lil plasticy feeling over time from my experience. My #1 recommendation would be Symphony Classic if you want something long-lasting that feels and looks nice.

On the more budget-friendly end, there is Dillon. It's a PU fabric (like Ultraleather), is dirt-cheap, UV coated, and wears decently. I've had good success with that with the customers who have requested it. It doesn't wear as long as some of the other materials out there, but none of the soft faux leathers do. I can't tell you how many times I've had to replace Ultraleather panels in seats because it's worn off the backing fabric within the first 2 years or so. Just my $.02 from cars I've seen come through the shop
The Following User Says Thank You to StitchIzz For This Useful Post:
in2deep (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 06:27 AM

A Thank You

I want to sincerely thank those of you who take the time to contribute your knowledge and expertise on this forum.
For those of us who are trying to do our homework prior to proceeding with a personally important project, the information here is great.
One very important aspect of this information is being able to sort the wheat from the chaff when discussing the project with an upholsterer. I'm sure in my mind that titanium foil clad carbon fiber panel board is probably unnecessary in my Model A.
Thanks again, Jerry

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.