Hot Rod Forum banner

Favorite Chevy El Camino and why ?

39K views 82 replies 58 participants last post by  Bonneville462 
#1 ·
I own my first BB 1966 Elky and love it ! just wanted to hear from others who love El Caminos...

#13 ·
i would say 73-77, particularly the 76-7 because of the front end. i like the 73-77 because i like that chassis and the styling; Face it, they handle and ride better than the beloved 68-72 series, not to mention the interior, i think, is better.

i also like the 78-87 series due to the smaller size and still excellent styling.

i'm not into the 67-72 too much or anything before that.

#16 ·
I’ve owned a bunch of them over the years and actually used them as pickup trucks. I just sold my 68 Big Block 4 Speed 12 bolt 68. I still have 2 of them, an 84 with a first Gen LT1, and my current favorite.

1983 El Camino with 78 Monte Carlo Front clip and doors. Cadillac 500, TH400,and Ford 9:” Lots better gas mileage than the 68 BB, and would outrun it hands down.

Attachments

#18 ·
I have owned a 66 with a 327 TH350,and the 76 blue and white special Bicentennial model with a 350/350 and of course the kind of one that I am custom building now. I like them all.The small ones are nice but it depends a lot on the color and options. I have seen a few that just looked wrong and some that I would love to own.I have done more work on it but don't have pics yet.

Attachments

#21 ·
The 59 is my all time favorite Elky
with a 454 and 5-spd
4-wheel disc, AC, Tilt, and power windows :D

Then comes the 66
This one is powered with a very old 307 but has a 5-spd (lookin' for MPG)
Front discs, power windows, tilt.
The interior was finished last week---this week I hope to get it started again after 5 years.
I'll try to get updated pics sometime this coming week.

Don't let the pics fool ya-----only about 10 labor hours from driving out on it's own---completed.

I'm also diggin' the 65 Ranchero my uncle left to me---a car that I rode around in between the ages of 5 and 15. He bought it new.
Factory 289 High Performance with a 4 spd-----yeee HAAAW :D

#23 ·
I have a 1987 El Camino. I was looking for an older one when this one came up for sale. I had looked at a 1972 that needed a lot of work and I almost bought that one but the 87 came up on an auction and I bought it for almost half of what the guy with the 72 wanted and the 87 ran and drove at the time.

I knew where a 1959 was sitting in the weeds about thirty years ago that I was going to go ask about but before I got around to it the El Camino disappeared. I really like the 59s.

#26 ·
Bryan59, if it hasn`t been started in that long make sure you cycle it as if the cam were new, otherwise it`s asking to wipe the cam out. You likely already know this but wanted to make sure. 307`s weren`t popular due to the cams going flat not long after leaving the new car lot, this is what gave them such awful reputations. I`ve heard many a old timer say "307, worst engine chevy ever made"
I like 307`s, with the right parts they perform nicely plus blow the doors off a 305. When I do my mileage build it`ll be with a oem roller cam 305. If they had made 307`s with oem rollers I`d be all over`em with both feet.
Also by the way that`s a really sweet 66.
Okay now, to user Playmouth Hemi, I like how the monte front end looks on the Elky body, it`s unique. Plus many good name options for the hybrid such as:
El Carlo
Monino
Monte Camino
Camino Monte
El Monino
Carlomino
El Carlmino
Carlmino
Monte Carmino
El Carmino
If GM had put that out image the fun they would`ve had with the name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.