Favorite or Hated Family Vacation Vehicles - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,081 Times in 964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
My dad was into photography, he shot with a 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 camera, mostly b&w, but sometimes color. I just scanned without any enhancement.

Those are some treasures, holy cow! I only have a few photos of my dad taking us camping, my mom never went. That tent in your photo looks a lot like one I have. My dad was a salesmen and they had a contest where you would earn points. With those points my dad bought all the camping gear he had only dreamed of. We had an old Coleman stove, lantern both burned the camp fuel (dangerous stuff!), we had a crap tent that we had used for years, a wooden box he made to carry our cooking stuff (I still have it), pretty funky old stuff. Well with those points my dad "bought" all new stuff! A beautiful tent that looked like that one but with the aluminum frame that went crossing over the top, propane stove and lantern, cots, etc. He had his vacation date set and we waited in anticipation of the new camp goodies coming. That vacation date came and no goodies! We had to leave on our trip and the darn stuff came the next day. My dad never did use the stuff we got, not one more time for some reason, we never went on another camping trip. All us kids used them over the years and I still have the tent and a few other pieces, but he never got to use them.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

lt1silverhawk,

Thanks for the touch up, I saved to file.
Most pics are b&w.

Here is color, but recent around 1968, yours truly.

Bob

Last edited by deckofficer; 02-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
lt1silverhawk,

Most pics are b&w.

Bob
Those are awesome Bob, I have many photos of my family, seems like on both sides they were big on photos, check out my profile photo, that is my Uncle in the family race car. I was recently looking at some family photos and it hit me what a great photographer my dad was. Not by trade or anything but more just God given talent. But honestly, he took some great family photos or set up some great ones that he is in. I never gave him credit for this and it really hit me the other day, he REALLY was damn good at this art.

Brian
Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Those are awesome Bob, I have many photos of my family, seems like on both sides they were big on photos, check out my profile photo, that is my Uncle in the family race car. I was recently looking at some family photos and it hit me what a great photographer my dad was. Not by trade or anything but more just God given talent. But honestly, he took some great family photos or set up some great ones that he is in. I never gave him credit for this and it really hit me the other day, he REALLY was damn good at this art.

Brian
Brian,

My dad was never a pro, he was a mechanical engineer, but for most of my young years we always had a darkroom. He taught me photography from the ground up, composition, lighting, and darkroom techniques, filters, dodging, burning in, etc.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

My favorite vacation vehicle was a Cessna T-210 M ,we had it for many years n it was faster than any car here,cruised at 140 KTAS at 15 GPH.
What a ride I could fly from Lauderdale to Abaco in an hour!
Tail # was N137BB I sold it in 2000,I still miss it!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwrench
My favorite vacation vehicle was a Cessna T-210 M ,we had it for many years n it was faster than any car here,cruised at 140 KTAS at 15 GPH.
This the one? http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N137BB.html

Brian
Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Brian,

My dad was never a pro, he was a mechanical engineer, but for most of my young years we always had a darkroom. He taught me photography from the ground up, composition, lighting, and darkroom techniques, filters, dodging, burning in, etc.
Very cool, I worked with that in a class in high school, I loved it.

Brian
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out a favorite and not getting any where until topwrench posted and struck a cord. My wife and son used to take 4 week trips in a rented light plane. These let us cover a lot of distance in minimum time with more time at destinations and the scenery was spectacular at times. Hard to pick a favorite. The Beech Bonanza was probably the most comfortable, but the Balanca 300 Viking and Money 231 Turbo were the fastest Both cruised around 230 mph, no wind. The Mooney used the least fuel, had oxygen for higher altitude cruise and could stay airborne longer than our bladders could stand. Never was much into pictures, and don't remember taking a single one. Regardless, I still have my log book that serves as a record of each leg of our journeys. Some others were Piper Comanche single, Piper Cherokee 180, and Piper Aztec twin, Cessna 172 (yuk), and Mooney 21.

Trees
Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
I was wracking my brain trying to figure out a favorite and not getting any where until topwrench posted and struck a cord. My wife and son used to take 4 week trips in a rented light plane. These let us cover a lot of distance in minimum time with more time at destinations and the scenery was spectacular at times. Hard to pick a favorite. The Beech Bonanza was probably the most comfortable, but the Balanca 300 Viking and Money 231 Turbo were the fastest Both cruised around 230 mph, no wind. The Mooney used the least fuel, had oxygen for higher altitude cruise and could stay airborne longer than our bladders could stand. Never was much into pictures, and don't remember taking a single one. Regardless, I still have my log book that serves as a record of each leg of our journeys. Some others were Piper Comanche single, Piper Cherokee 180, and Piper Aztec twin, Cessna 172 (yuk), and Mooney 21.

Trees
Mooney's were very efficient for their time, great plane. Now we have Lancair,
http://www.lancair.com/?option=com_c...139&Itemid=286

300+ kt at cruise.

Hot rods and planes.....Works for me.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
lt1silverhawk,

Most pics are b&w.

Bob
My pleasure. Sweet shots. I love B&W pictures. I gotta say you are one tough cookie for skiing in only a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

Quote:
Brian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Very cool, I worked with that in a class in high school, I loved it.

Brian
I am new to photography but have only shot digital. I do wana learn how to do film one day. Having done some research, it doesn't seem too complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwrench
Quote:
Originally Posted by trees

Trees
Well, you guys have introduced an interesting twist to this thread, and I mean that in a good way. Afterall, the title does say "Vehicles". It is interesting to read about the airplane stories and I am interested in reading others' as well.

Anyone use sea/water vessels for vacation trips? deckofficer, I know you are working on a rig for a long trip.

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 02-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

One of the vehicles I owned when the kids were small was a 1980 Chevy Suburban. Baby blue, and plain jane except for AC. Bench seats and not very plush. But, it safely carried the whole family to Daytona Beach, the Space Center, Disney World, and back home to PA. The two kids absolutely hated that vehicle. They nicknamed it "The Barfmobile". Well, that was many years ago, but now the oldest daughter and her fiance and looking for an old suburban to buy and restore. I hope they find one, and it's Baby Blue !!!! Funny how sometimes things go full circle.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
My pleasure. Sweet shots. I love B&W pictures. I gotta say you are one tough cookie for skiing in only a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

No, just 16 and convinced if I don't want to fall, I won't

I am new to photography but have only shot digital. I do wana learn how to do film one day. Having done some research, it doesn't seem too complicated.

Problem now, Kodak Film is out of business

Well, you guys have introduced an interesting twist to this thread, and I mean that in a good way. Afterall, the title does say "Vehicles". It is interesting to read about the airplane stories and I am intereste din reading others as well.

Anyone use sea/water vessels for vacation trips? deckofficer, I know you are working on a rig for a long trip.

My last ship (rig) 32,000 tons, (6) 5,000 hp electric motor thrusters, and in heavy winds and currents, could burn 1,000 gallons of diesel per hour just to hold position. 1,000 gallons to go nowhere.

Yours truly

My office

And how I got to work

Last edited by deckofficer; 02-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
My last ship (rig) 32,000 tons, (6) 5,000 hp electric motor thrusters, and in heavy winds and currents, could burn 1,000 gallons of diesel per hour just to hold position. 1,000 gallons to go nowhere.
Wild Bob!

Brian
Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 PM

Last photo:

Here's my tear drop, I wish I still had it, damn that thing was cool.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tear drop.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	536.5 KB
ID:	63321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tear drop 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	528.2 KB
ID:	63322  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Vacations

I am convinced that enjoying a vacation is a skill that I somehow just never learned. To me, even the worst day at the office was better than the best vacation day I ever had!

Wife conned me into going on a cruise a few years ago - 10 days held prisoner on a boat with no way off!

Years & years ago, we went to one of those "all inclusive resorts" for a 12 day stay - I left and flew home on the 3rd day.

So - worst vacation car? Any car I was coerced into taking a vacation with!

Tags
history, humor, nostalgia, stories

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.