Favorite or Hated Family Vacation Vehicles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Favorite or Hated Family Vacation Vehicles

Hi All,

This post is somewhat inspired by a recent poll online and the current Art Contest going in the Art forum.

What were your favorite or hateful vacation rides when growing up? Any of those still around in the family? For those with their own families, what is your vacation ride now? Any memorable stories? Pictures are always great too!

I'll start off. One of the family vacation rides was an '89 Toyota Tercel. Coupe. Man that thing was small. My most recent favorite vehicle for road trips with friends was the '95 Impala SS with a 383 stroker. Now it sits with a busted transmission collecting dust and waiting for a new owner.

Wow, my stories really sucked. Anyone got anything better?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My Dad bought a brand new, 1964 Chevy Impala SS convertible, 327/powerglide, (Red/White interior)-he bought it specifically to take us to Disneyland, and I remember going across Death Valley because it was hot and didn't have a/c-I loved that Car, and don't remember where it went-
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

Here is my current vacation car 1957 Plymouth. It was built with an eye on making the 4000 (+ -) mile round trip back to see family in IL on a regular basis. It has a 1956 354 Hemi with tri-power, A833 Overdrive 4 speed and 4.10 gears. To keep comfortable and entertained on the trip it has 67 Chrysler 300 bucket seats (power drivers, reclining passengerís), AM/FM Cassette with Reverb, Cruise Control, AC and disc brakes. I last made the trip in this in Oct of last year. BY the way it gets 20 MPG.

If I have something large to take to or bring back from Ill, I usually take my truck. Itís an 83 El Camino with a 78 Monte Carlo clip. It runs a 500 CI Cadillac engine, TH400 and 2.75 Ford 9Ē. It has the Monte Carlo SS gauge cluster, bucket seats, F41 suspension, Cruise Control, AC, and AM/FM Cassette with CD changer. It also has a class III hitch in case I need to tow a trailer. It only gets 16-17 MPG.....but hey itís a truck.

Iím probably going to be heading to Ill sometime in Aug this year and havenít decided which Iíll take, but Iím leaning towards the El Camino this time.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This is a very cool thread! 35, lovin the vert story, we begged our folks (6 of us) to go to Disneyland. The 57 Plymouth reminds me of my favorite car we had when I was a kid, a 57 Plymouth wagon. Lots of room for all of us heathens, I think there were only 4 of us kids at that time, we had a lot of good times in the wagon, a few vacation trips, it was a great car. A small V-8, 3 on the tree, a cool looking car. 57plymouthhemi, I would love to have that car, I'd use it for work, getting that kind of mileage, I would be the coolest USDA Auditor in California! I drive about 25,000 miles a year, that would make the travel so much more enjoyable. Nice car! Dan
Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

I have two hated vacation vehicles in my life.
#1-1970 Dodge Coronet 500 wagon. 318 with auto. Parents took us (3 kids) to Utah in 1979 to drop my sister off at college. Oh yea, we also had my two aunts with us. A total of 7 people in a car with only 6 seats. I was the youngest at 15, so that relegated me to the back cargo area. I got to see everything from the opposite direction as everyone else. Two glorious weeks on the road from Central Fl to Utah and back.
#2-80 Ford E350 van. No not the one with all the seats and windows, it was a work van. Rear and curb side windows only. Central Fl to Maine and back. All 5 of us. Oh yea, lets include the two aunts again. I was around 18 this time, so I volunteered to drive . A lot. If you don't drive, then you sit on a couch (from our living room) or in lawn chairs in the back. No view of any kind. Oh yea, we camped every night too. Jeez, what redneck white trash we were.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 PM
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E85

Last photo:

Oh the horror.Sandwiched between two sisters in the rear of a 63 Ford fairlane 500.One of them poking you in the ribs and the other one singing Paul Ankas "Havin my baby" over and over and over.That was 40 yrs ago and I still shake at the thought of it.lol.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Hated vacation trips and cars. Probably any that I took with my parents. It had nothing to do with them - except the fact that they were both heavy smokers and cigarette smoke as a kid made me car sick - and still does. Imagine, locked up in a clapped out 1941 Chevy coupe on a two day trip (and they always seemed to be that long), windows closed and being sick almost the entire way. At least there were no brothers or sisters so I had the back seat along with whatever 'treasures' they were hauling along.

Favorite trip cars - for sure two stick in my mind - my '63 Ford Galaxie 500XL 2 door hardtop(406 Tri Power, four speed) or my '64 Grand Prix. Many others since, but those were possibly my favorites
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Favorite trip cars - for sure two stick in my mind - my '63 Ford Galaxie 500XL 2 door hardtop(406 Tri Power, four speed) or my '64 Grand Prix. Many others since, but those were possibly my favorites
Sorry to hear about those two day trips, but that '63/406 Galaxie sounds like a lot of fun! I had a friend who had a 406 in a '62, and it was a fast car back in the day (he was also successful at Pike's Peak, but that is another story)-

I also had another Buddy that had a '63 Galaxie that was jacked up about two feet, wearing American 200S Wheels (10" in back, with a 390/c6)-sounds kinda funny, but back then it was a really cool car-I have a soft spot for '63 Galaxie's because of that Car-
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

my dad gave me a dodge k car something and it made it about three miles out of town before it grenaded. we were able to get a ride back

my dad gave me a buick regal i had for about a year then drove it from WA to Cali and at the summit at Ashland ski area it grenaded. my wife and i had to take the greyhound to reno left the car in the parking lot of some motel. on the way back it was still there so pulled the plates.

my uncle gave me a lincoln continental and at the california bug station by oregon i put it back in gear and it wouldnt move. had to hitchhike to reno. had to go back and get it and spend $2500 replacing the transaxle. POS!!! THAT is the one i hate the most cause it cost me the most. then got t-boned with my girlfriend driving it drunk. soured me on Fords for a lifetime, at least till the '05 Stangs came out.

probably more but those are the real weiners.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Vacation car from my youth.

My current trip/vacation car. Not a daily driver, rather once a month.

Bob
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

I have a favorite....

Up until I was about 13, my dad had a '55 Chrysler New Yorker 2-door, with the 331 baby Hemi.

When we went on vacation, it always inlcuded some highway speeds of 100MPH! I loved that car!

Years later he asked me to let him take my 327 '57 Vette for a spin. I could here him in the distance, doing burnouts, and banging gears. :-) I think he enjoyed that. RIP dad. {:-)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Vacation car from my youth.

Bob
Bob, that is a treasure, holy crap. Funny, I have a photo of my 65 Skylark daily driver pulling a Tear drop (made in 47 using a bunch of war bird parts by an aircraft mech!) on a vacation of mine up at Lake Shasta, but it was in 1990ish.

I love those "living" photos, screw the ones shot in a photography studio, I love those well done "snap shots" that are so well done they qualify as art, you know what I mean? That shot of yours is just that. Have you "enhanced" it to sharpen the colors?

Brian
Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
Guys, I personally have never went on a vacation either as a kid or as an adult that I hate ANYTHING about! They are full of treasures, FULL of them. I wouldn't change a thing.

Brian
Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Bob, that is a treasure, holy crap. Funny, I have a photo of my 65 Skylark daily driver pulling a Tear drop (made in 47 using a bunch of war bird parts by an aircraft mech!) on a vacation of mine up at Lake Shasta, but it was in 1990ish.

I love those "living" photos, screw the ones shot in a photography studio, I love those well done "snap shots" that are so well done they qualify as art, you know what I mean? That shot of yours is just that. Have you "enhanced" it to sharpen the colors?

Brian
My dad was into photography, he shot with a 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 camera, mostly b&w, but sometimes color. I just scanned without any enhancement.

BTW, I love that '57 4 speed Plymouth hemi that was posted upstream a bit.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Wow, great stories you guys. Very good pictures too. I guess its only appropriate to post vacation pics as well. I'll will try post some from my trips up to Central California. Please, keep 'em coming!

@ 35Window: Sounds like it was sweet ride! Too bad its gone

@ 1957plymouthhemi: You've got some nice toys Its good to see you do drive the heck out of 'em. The Plymouth is beautiful!

@ Dinger: Only four? How many siblings you got? And I agree, the Plymouth would make any drive to work far more interetsing.

@ cal1320: Lol! The Econo sounds very appealing actually. But I'm weirdy so no surprise there.

@ fatblock: Lol that's a traumatic story! Do anything to even with 'em?

@ Ireland's Child: That sucks about all the smoke. The Galaxie and the Grand Prix look like comfy cruisers for some cross country driving.

@ Bullheimer: Lol! Don't take it the wrong way, but I swear I don't think I've ever read a happy post from you. Any favorites?

@ deckofficer: Hope you don't mind, but I gave it some touch up... Love the other shot at Joshua Tree. Would love to see any other vacation pics you got.

@ TucsonJay: That's sweet memory of your Dad.

@ MARTINSR: Ditto. Those shots are always awesome to look at.

Good stuff you guys! Keep 'em coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's Vacation Ride.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	63297  

Tags
history, humor, nostalgia, stories

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.