FE is completely ripped apart now - killing the paint budget - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

FE is completely ripped apart now - killing the paint budget

My engine shop has the FE apart completely now. I am awaiting news on the crankshaft. It was sent out to be magged and checked for straightness. Providing that is okay, then it will be machined.

I figured my rebuild was going to be fairly moderate in cost. My rebuilder is an old ford guy and he keeps ordering good parts, then convincing me they are needed

He's right of course, but the paint budget is all but gone. I guess it will be spring before paint goes on

So far we have Eagle H beam rods, new cast pistions, cam, pushrods, comp aluminum rocker system, edelbrock aluminum heads, RPM endurashine manifold, CJ oil pump, windage tray etc etc.

It's gonna be a good motor, and should last a long time... but I'd rather be driving

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

You have come to find out......Exactly what the "FE" means......

Frickin Expensive!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:28 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

If you are going to use an adjustable rocker arm set-up, go with an aftermarket roller rocker system.

If you are going to use a non-adjustable system, DO NOT re-use the set-up you took off the engine. It is probably worn enough (shafts and rockers) to cause oil starvation at the valves, leading to scoring and galling of the exhaust valves and guides.

Go here: http://www.rockerarms.com/ford.htm

Get a reconditioned set. They will save you some money up front and will save you from doing your heads multiple times.

tom
Old 09-19-2008, 12:36 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Replace the F with a C (crate engine) next go round and be done with it
Old 09-20-2008, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, yeah I figured i could drive the used engine for a couple years then redo it. I am forced to spend earlier than I would have, but hopefully I'll have it on the road for sure in the spring time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
If you are going to use an adjustable rocker arm set-up, go with an aftermarket roller rocker system.

If you are going to use a non-adjustable system, DO NOT re-use the set-up you took off the engine. It is probably worn enough (shafts and rockers) to cause oil starvation at the valves, leading to scoring and galling of the exhaust valves and guides.

Go here: http://www.rockerarms.com/ford.htm

Get a reconditioned set. They will save you some money up front and will save you from doing your heads multiple times.

tom
Thanks for the great link Tom.

My engine guy has ordered these, I believe;
Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

If you'd have just given it a Krylon rebuild you'd have had more money for that other paint.

Oh, Ford circled the problem long ago too if ya know what I mean.

Fe, that's iron. In the case of an FE, that'd be pig iron

Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped
Thanks guys, yeah I figured i could drive the used engine for a couple years then redo it. I am forced to spend earlier than I would have, but hopefully I'll have it on the road for sure in the spring time.

Thanks for the great link Tom.

My engine guy has ordered these, I believe;
Yep, part 1046-16. Nice how they show a stud-mount rocker in the picture, eh?

tom
Old 09-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke
If you'd have just given it a Krylon rebuild you'd have had more money for that other paint.

Oh, Ford circled the problem long ago too if ya know what I mean.

Fe, that's iron. In the case of an FE, that'd be pig iron

Oh yes engines are expensive. I have a dodge truck... it's been repaired a few times. The 502 BBC in my boat is one troublesome and expensive hunk of iron. The cheve camaro my son had, took 30 man hours out and 30 man hours in, what a PITA.

And now , yes the FE

But it's all about driving the car, no matter what you have. When you got it right, it's a blast

Quote:
Yep, part 1046-16. Nice how they show a stud-mount rocker in the picture, eh?
Yeah gotta love those generic part pictures. Especially if you are ordering from eBay. I wonder at times if the reseller has the wrong picture or the wrong part LOL

It would be bad if that's what they sent and that's what got installed LOL
Old 09-20-2008, 06:49 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
\

Yeah gotta love those generic part pictures. Especially if you are ordering from eBay. I wonder at times if the reseller has the wrong picture or the wrong part LOL

It would be bad if that's what they sent and that's what got installed LOL
The funny thing is that the picture is from Comp Cams website. I hope their quality control is better than their proofreading!

tom
Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
My engine shop has the FE apart completely now. I am awaiting news on the crankshaft. It was sent out to be magged and checked for straightness. Providing that is okay, then it will be machined.

I figured my rebuild was going to be fairly moderate in cost. My rebuilder is an old ford guy and he keeps ordering good parts, then convincing me they are needed

He's right of course, but the paint budget is all but gone. I guess it will be spring before paint goes on

So far we have Eagle H beam rods, new cast pistions, cam, pushrods, comp aluminum rocker system, edelbrock aluminum heads, RPM endurashine manifold, CJ oil pump, windage tray etc etc.

It's gonna be a good motor, and should last a long time... but I'd rather be driving
Since you are building a race engine, you might as well get FORGED pistons NOW. I say race engine because an FE doesn't need all that expensive stuff to be a strong performer.

IMO it sounds as though you seem to have lost sight of your goal to have a nice performance driver and fallen into the "more is better" $$$$$$$$$ group.

You don't say which FE you are trying to build, but spending this much money I hope you started with a 428. If you are doing a 390, no matter how much you spend, you can't overcome lack of cubes. JMO
Ford guy

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.