Feather Fill - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 09:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Feather Fill

Has anyone used Feather Fill primer/surfacer from Evercoat?..If so, is it compatible for bc/cc? ....GlennK

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2003, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

I have used it for years, great stuff, use a sealer over it and you can cover it with about anything.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:36 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Works great- very compatible- sands easily and fills minor imperfections and sand scratches.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:03 PM

Thanks Guy's for the thumbs up. One other Q, Can I use it for my primary over bare metal, or do I have to use an etching primer. Moisture is not a problem being I live in the desert...I've had my coupe in bare all summer and not a speck of rust anywhere..Thanks again for the response....GlennK
Old 09-18-2003, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

You'd have to check specs on the can- I assume it's okay- I have been using sealer over any primer and have been much more pleased with the results.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:12 PM

Thanks Dragon J: Thats the way I'm going to go. By the way, What color Blue is that on the J? I'm looking at GM indigo Blue for my coupe. The J is as good looking as I've ever seen.....Thanks again.........GlennK
Old 09-18-2003, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

feather fill

Hi, yes,I am very familiar with featherfill. First ,no,it can't be used directly over bare metal or you WILL have adhesion failure.I personally would sand bare metal with # 80 sandpaper(D A ,or other)Second ,use a good metal conditioner .They not only clean ,they also chemically condition the metal .JUST BE SURE TO FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS! Third, use a good quality etching primer , or,better yet an epoxy primer/sealer over the bare metal.Then you can apply the primer ,but personally I've had better luck with Slick Sand ,also made by Evercoat. Very similar material ,but Slick Sand is not as porous as Feather Fill ,and Slick Sand is able to be wet sanded ,Feather fill is NOT . Then seal & paint as you would any other primer. Hope that helps !
Old 09-18-2003, 10:24 PM

Evercoat web site

Jeesh, Now I am getting corn fused. I just found the web site for Evercoat and it says that featherfill is good for over bare metal. Slick sand also. Now what do I do? I don't want to have to do this again but I've been getting so many conflicting responses. One guy told me to just use red oxide primer and thenseal it and it would do just fine....HELP. ......GlennK
Old 09-18-2003, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

Feather Fill

GlennK ,sorry, I wasn't trying to confuse you ,only offering MY personal experiences with Feather Fill .Yes, you can use it over bare metal ,but my experience is that you will have much better luck using etch primer, or epoxy(my favorite)under it! Just as there are many roads to a place, there are many routes you can take to YOUR goal .Being that we are talking about it over the 'net ,and NOT looking at, or touching your car, it is next to impossible to give you a solid answer on the best route to take. My advice ---have someone with paint experience look it over with you ,and give you THEIR honest opinion .There HAS to be street rod clubs in your area , and street rodders LOVE to help other rodders---just ask!! Good Luck!!!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

Hey Glenn- hope you get it sorted out- lots of different opinions on the 'net but when guys say they've had experiences with stuff that's better than whats on the can! I myself have used it over a primer so cannot vouch for results over bare metal. To reiterate, it IS great for surface filling and I've had no problems with it as far as adhesion. As for color of my 'J it is Thistle Purple Metallic- a Ford color from the '90s- Mustangs I believe. (more pics in the old album!!) Good Luck-
Old 09-19-2003, 08:33 PM

Dragon J: I was afraid you were going to say it was purple, Color identification is not one of my strong points. It looks good any

way......GlennK F 1 Thanks for your time and knowledge... I'll have to look into that epoxy primer for my base and then I'll try the Feather fill.......GlennK

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.