Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fed-Mogul Speed-Pro hydr roller retrofit cam?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Specs are as follows (CS1061R)

RPM range: 1200-4500

Duration @ .050": 197/210
Adv. Duration: 273/288

Valve lift: .433/.462

Lobe Separation 112

Overlap 57

I can probly get more info at home tonite if you need it.

tom

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleVision
I find this post rather interesting, and why is because there guilty of the same crime with other parts such as pistons. There`s lots they fail to mention. for example they fail to mention that the basic hyper 4 valve relief flat top pistons for a 350 sbc has .020 off the deck height, but other companies are guilty of this too, there is no good reason why there done this way, some say it`s because of a ridge on the cylinder, I`ve ran countless engines with ridges and the correct compression hight piston and never once broke a ring, others say it`s because the block gets decked everytime it gets rebuilt and this isn`t true either, in my years of building engines I`ve had 2 decked, and I only get it decked if it needs it. no one doing a basic rebuild is going to spend $100 on a deck job if the block doesn`t need it.
Other pistons they carry also don`t have any info on them, they have a coated skirt hyper piston with a D-dish but they don`t mention what the dish volume is. so in the end, I`ve become a little leery of there products, there`s too many things they fail to mention.
IF you read the Speed Pro catalog, they list the dish/dome volume, compression height (which tells you if they have been decked or not), etc.

Decking the pison has NOTHING to do with ring height. The ring lands are in the same position in relation to the pin bore centerline. They deck the piston to compensate for the possible compression increase due the overbore, head milling etc.

The information on the alloy used in the piston skirt coating, ring sizes, ring set part #, etc. is there for those who know where to look for it.

tom

Last edited by machine shop tom; 10-19-2004 at 02:23 PM.