Feel pretty stupid with this mustang II question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 08:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Feel pretty stupid with this mustang II question

I pulled all the control arms and springs off my mustang II front end to sand and paint. Initially I kept the left side parts and the right side separate. During painting they got all mixed. First question-Is there a difference in the left or right side for the upper control arms, lower control arms or springs? There doesn't seem to be any L or R printed on them. Question 2- On the Upper control arm the rod that runs through the bushings has a curve in the center. I figured they should match the curve at the top of the cross member where the shock comes through. The problem is that one of them with the curve as described places the "grabbing slots" on the top, which of course doesn't make sense. No I didn't install the bushings and rod. They're new on this car that I bought. The frame is currently separate from the car. When I tried to put one side back together the coil spring didn't seem to sit correctly on the lower control arm. Plus, it appears that the upper control arm binds on the top of the backing of the spindle. I feel pretty foolish asking these questions, but my buddy and I are both baffled. Help!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxhome
I pulled all the control arms and springs off my mustang II front end to sand and paint. Initially I kept the left side parts and the right side separate. During painting they got all mixed. First question-Is there a difference in the left or right side for the upper control arms, lower control arms or springs? There doesn't seem to be any L or R printed on them. Question 2- On the Upper control arm the rod that runs through the bushings has a curve in the center. I figured they should match the curve at the top of the cross member where the shock comes through. The problem is that one of them with the curve as described places the "grabbing slots" on the top, which of course doesn't make sense. No I didn't install the bushings and rod. They're new on this car that I bought. The frame is currently separate from the car. When I tried to put one side back together the coil spring didn't seem to sit correctly on the lower control arm. Plus, it appears that the upper control arm binds on the top of the backing of the spindle. I feel pretty foolish asking these questions, but my buddy and I are both baffled.
Help!!!!!!!
There shouldn't be a difference on the upper arms and springs left or right. The lower arms would only have a left or right if you have already installed the strut rod. The "grabbing slots" being on top would seem to indicate the control arm shaft has been installed 180 degrees from where it should be. In other words it should be swapped end for end within the control arm. Then when the curve of the shaft matches the top hat the "grabbing slots will be down. You will have to press out at least one bushing and turn the shaft around.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

Thanks

That helps with the control arm shaft. I'll get that pressed out tomorrow. Would you advise that I put the strut arms on last? Why would having them on in advance determine left from right , unless you mean if they point forward or backwards. The base of the spring doesn't sit all the way into the pocket on the lower control arm. Will that change when I put the car back on the frame?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Yes, the strut rods (if you have them) point to the rear. Additional weight on the suspension will flatten out the lower control arm which should permit the spring to seat better in the lower control arm pocket. If it doesn't there may be some other problem and in that case a picture would help.

I'd probably install the strut rods after the lower arms were installed.

Hopefully you won't scratch the paint while pressing the bushing.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:51 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Just a reminder (as if anyone needs one), we keep a metal stamping kit handy to our work benches so we can stamp parts like L and R or T and B so we can make sure they go back the way they came off. Sometimes many months go by between disassembly and reassembly and those little stamp marks are invaluable. Also, the US auto industry has been pretty good in marking parts if they differ. They are also pretty good about not doing any more marking than necessary so many times they will mark for one side only and the unmarked part will go on the opposite side.

Trees

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.