Hot Rod Forum banner

Feels like i am driving a tractor...

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
Ok, not sure where to start...

So I will start with my vehicle = 1969 Camaro.

Next a quick little run down on my engine:

350 target master block, stock internals "crank, rods, pistons"
993 heads 1.94/1.50 (Rebuilt about 2-3 years ago)
mild cam not sure on specs
gear drive
headers
650 holley double pumper
holley street dominator manifold
mechanical stock fuel pump
summit racing's ignition set up "distributor(msd style), coil (accel style), box (mallory style)"

Backed by a stock th-350 Trans...

Ok, now here is my problem. About a month and a half ago weather was hot outside 100+. I had took the car out for a ride about 25 miles freeway driving (not smart I know), when I got off the freeway and came up to a stop light finally, the car started to chug like I was running out of fuel. So I checked the gauge it showed I had over a 1/4 tank. So I went straight back home. I figured awgh maybe the car got a little warm (no temp gauge, not smart again I know), and it just needed a rest.

A few days later I went to take it out for a ride 80* weather. I got about 10 blocks from the house when it started chugging again. So I turned it around and barely made it home as it died pulling into my driveway. It was then very hard to start, I thought maybe it was flooded. Not sure though...

I then popped the hood, and started to try and figure out what was going on, I noticed my inline glass fuel filter looked a lil dirty and empty, so I swapped it out for a new one. Got it started same problem. Then noticed the filter was bubbling like there was air or something in there.

So I took the hose off the side that exits towards the carb and put the hose into a bottle and cranked it, It shot fuel straight through no problem.
I had an old guy tell me "oohhhhh its your needle valve clogging, there no more then $15 go pick one up". So I did and that didn't fix it.

Does anyone have an idea on what this could be I would love to drive my car again. If you have any questions please ask, let me help you help me, lol

By the way when I say chugging i mean the car feels like i am driving through a tomato field, and if I press the gas more the car will die out and when i let off if will come back but just enough to idle along with light pressure on the pedal.

Did I overheat and break something, do I have fuel issues?

Please help...

mariolamore@gmail.com
(209)688-9645

See less See more
#4 ·
Has the gas tank in your 40 yr. old car ever been replaced? sounds like you've got a dirty fuel system. could even be ignition problems. pull the dist. cap and check it out along with your plugs. look for cap condition and carbon tracking on the inside, read your plugs, and check the spark plug wires after dark and watch for arcing between the wires. If you use your fingers to move the wires around and you get zapped, it's time for new wires.
Just some things to look for. Don't blame one thing, suspect everything!

#6 ·
Sqzbox, I have checked the cap (new), plugs are new and gapped, wires are all new no arching at night checked that already to. I have not replaced the tank nor have I cleaned it out ever, I think I will clean the tank, replace the pick up tube and put in a new electric fuel pump, I hope that cures this...

#8 · (Edited)
Good deal. Well, best I can think of is check the cheap stuff first. Like compresion check, dist. module, things like that. Frustration set's in and you loose your focus! My dad told me once, think first spend later. and two eye's see better than one. Take your time and check everything before you start throwing money at it, you'll be richer in the end. Good luck buddy! :thumbup:

#15 ·
Drop the tank and replace the sock. Almost willing to bet it`s collapsing. After that many years it`s past due to be replaced. The 80`s cutlasses I work on at times all need them replaced. I would time it at 12 degrees before top dead center with the vac advance disconnected and plugged. After setting plug it back in and make sure it`s connected to manifold vacuum source, or any source that always pulls vacuum, even at idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.