FEL-Pro 1 piece OS 34509T - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

FEL-Pro 1 piece OS 34509T

Can I get some experiences of people using this Fel-Pro one piece oil pan gasket? PN OS 34509T....The instructions says to use RTV silicone on the front and rear seals of the gasket but not on the sides. Does this mean RTV the entire end pieces to the TC cover and main bearing cap, or just the ends where it meets the block? Would it hurt to use a thin coat of silicone al along the sides? Any experiences good and bad are welcome, and also any helpful hints. I have tried the 4 pice gaskets twice with not much luck. I am doing this in the truck. Thanks for the help...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoop
Can I get some experiences of people using this Fel-Pro one piece oil pan gasket? PN OS 34509T....The instructions says to use RTV silicone on the front and rear seals of the gasket but not on the sides. Does this mean RTV the entire end pieces to the TC cover and main bearing cap, or just the ends where it meets the block? Would it hurt to use a thin coat of silicone al along the sides? Any experiences good and bad are welcome, and also any helpful hints. I have tried the 4 pice gaskets twice with not much luck. I am doing this in the truck. Thanks for the help...
Personally I don't silicone anything. Once closed you have no idea where that stuff went, especially when most guys use way too much. I don't want that stuff going around with the oil, or in the coolant for that matter.

My preference is non-hardening Permatex for this job. On a surface it's oil and fuel proof, unlike silicone rubber which while resistant certainly won't qualify for an airplane engine which tells you something. Plus, if any gets into the lubrication or the cooling system, since it doesn't polymerize into a solid object, the actions of being drawn into a pick up screen or run thru pump gears or impellers it mixes into a fine suspension that is greatly diluted by the liquid it in to where it will not obstruct passages and in a lubrication system will be picked out by the filter. Rubber risks plugging pickup screens and being flung around till it lodges in some location which could be a place that cuts off oil or coolant flow depending on where it started.

What I recommend for installation is:

- If you're using a sheetmetal timing cover, the frame where the molded rubber seal passes in that lip cannot seal the backside edges of the spot welded parts. Press a layer of Permatex into that seam before laying in the gasket. If you use RTV do the same thing, but be careful about leaving too much extra material behind so it doesn't squeeze out in lumps that can get into the oil.

- Place a dab of your sealer where the circular part interfaces into the flat section to cover your butt on any dimensional miss-matches here.

- I usually use a soft grease to locate the gaskets along the sides rather than a sealant. Grease does the job of holding the gasket in position while I working, and makes separating the gasket from the part a lot easier if I ever have to go back in.

- The problem with sheetmetal covers be they rocker, timing or oil pan is that when bolted thru soft gaskets onto rigid castings, the gasket will squish away from the bolt load and the sheetmetal deforms under the bolt head leading to leaks that cannot be stopped with more force applied to the bolt head.

a. Oneth, if it's a reused piece of tin, make sure to dolly and hammer all of these puckers formed under bolt heads out flat.

b. Tooth, use a hardened washer as large as the rim relief width will allow under the bolt head to spread the clamping load so it doesn't tend to bend the metal under the bolt head. This is also a place where a self locking bolt like a nyloc can be useful in providing enough pressure to make a seal and still not have to be torqued to the sky to keep the bolt from falling out. I've been known to make thick retainers to fit under bolts to really spread the load out like those used for old SBC rocker covers, but a level of insanity runs in my family, so make up your own mind. Hardened washers do not deform like sheetmetal, they can be found a large pro type parts stores, specility fastener stores or heavy equipment outlets.

c. Third, ha, I'll bet you expecting something else! Some gaskets these days come with a hard plastic insert that the fasteners pass thru, they are intended to prevent so much over torquing from the fasteners that the gasket is pushed out and leaks. This is a great design for use with nyloc fasteners. Where you can get enough force to make a seal but not use so much trying to keep 'em in their holes that it breaks the plastic rings.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 08-05-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: a, b, c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.