Hot Rod Forum banner

Fel Pro 1003 Head Gasket Coolant Hole

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dougie 
#1 ·
I assembled my 327 and installed it in car. Not started yet. Long story but I pulled the heads and am installing new Fel pro 1003 head gaskets. Instructions say to drill a 7/16" hole in block between center cylinder exhaust valves if hole is not in block. Mine doesn't have holes. I've done some research and it seems almost universally recommended. My problem is engine is assembled and in car. How can I drill these holes now without loading the coolant passages with metal shavings? There is no way I want to pull the engine and take it apart. I was thinking I could drill it and vacuum most of the shavings before I break through and then use one of those antenna deals with the magnet on the end to reach down the hole to collect the rest of the metal shavings. I don't have any other ideas. Is this hole really necessary? The block has the two smaller holes to either side of where the new hole would be drilled. This is a street car. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#3 ·
Is your 327 engine hi-performance, have aftermarket heads? The fel-pro Q1003 head gasket is a hi performance gasket. The hole is in the gasket because of the two exhaust valves that are side by side in the center of the head. This area puts out the most heat. Line the gasket up on the head to see if it has a hole drilled. If not the two smaller holes will provide coolant for this section. The stock factory replacement gaskets do not have these holes. If you want to drill the holes, tape up the cylinder bores and put some heavy grease on the deck and drill bit while drilling holes. If you have a shop vac have someone hold the hose to catch excess shavings. Nothing to it!

#4 ·
I assembled my 327 and installed it in car. Not started yet. Long story but I pulled the heads and am installing new Fel pro 1003 head gaskets. Instructions say to drill a 7/16" hole in block between center cylinder exhaust valves if hole is not in block. Mine doesn't have holes. I've done some research and it seems almost universally recommended. My problem is engine is assembled and in car. How can I drill these holes now without loading the coolant passages with metal shavings? There is no way I want to pull the engine and take it apart. I was thinking I could drill it and vacuum most of the shavings before I break through and then use one of those antenna deals with the magnet on the end to reach down the hole to collect the rest of the metal shavings. I don't have any other ideas. Is this hole really necessary? The block has the two smaller holes to either side of where the new hole would be drilled. This is a street car. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Ayuh,.... Protect it as best ya can, usin' grease, 'n a shopvac...

If ya loose a few bits of iron down the hole, Don't worry 'bout it....
It's the coolin' jacket, not an oil passage...

'ell,... Us boaters pump all kindsa crud through the coolin' system, everyday, all day long...
It most all comes out, when we drain the block for winter, No problem...

At worst, it'll lay in the bottom of the coolin' jacket, 'n rust away...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.