Felpro gasket compressed thickness. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Felpro gasket compressed thickness.

Ive read on classic inline that felpro gaskets for the inline six`s have a .038 compressed thickness where could i verify this. and where could i get reference to which gaskets have what?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

If you would be more specific on the motor you have, I could be more specfific on the gasket, but here are 4 different part numbers for Chevy inline sixes, all have 0.041" compressed thickness
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...rd=head+gasket
Here are 5 different part numbers for Ford inline sixes, they vary from 0.038" to 0.039" compressed thickness
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...rd=head+gasket
Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

ford 200 inline six. the gasket i pulled off has a
.045 compressed thickness.
3.8 gasket bore.

the engine
is a 3.68 bore.
3.126 stroke.
58cc combustion chambers.
.010 deck height.
ported polished head with unshrouded valves.
crank turned for cleanup. the pis
tons are -8cc.
yielding 8:1 compression ratio
depending on the thinnest gasket i find i can bump it up to 9.0 with a .038- .039 gasket and milling .035 off the head to achieve a 53 cc combustion chamber.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

sorry even with a .038 gasket and 53cc combustion chambers ill only have an
8.7:1
Old 05-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74chevyflat
sorry even with a .038 gasket and 53cc combustion chambers ill only have an
8.7:1
Worse than that, you only have a 200 cubic inch motor.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

yes yes techinspector u are very correct i have researched all over the interent trying different calculator even doing my own math and the compression ratio i stated was static not dynamic. dynamic as the engine stand without shaving the heads getting a special gasket or changing pistons i have a 6.35;1 DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TRICKS they can lend a hand with me.

BTw i was entering in the piston volume in a negative number hence being a dome, when i have a positive meaning adding volume bc its a dish,

WHat compression ratio is good for a supercharger and/or turbo application? and what cam should i install.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

I have a lil question to ask about lobe centers. doesnt a tighter lobe center cause the static compression to raise ,meanwhile a 112* bleeds off the pressure. or am i misinformed i read a thread on here about this i was just wondering on what i could do with this motor to make it perorm well wit a supercharger. in fact an M-90 to be exact. and a 2 brrl holley.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
doesnt a tighter lobe center cause the static compression to raise ,meanwhile a 112* bleeds off the pressure.
Static compression ratio is a mathematical, non-changing function that is determined by measuring clearances and determining volumes when you are setting the tone of the engine build. Once the motor is bolted together, nothing can change the static compression ratio except tearing the motor down and changing a dimension (volume).

The term "lobe center" is sometimes used interchangably with the terms "lobe separation angle" or "lobe displacement angle". It describes the number of degrees separating the max lift points of the intake and exhaust lobes (intake centerline and exhaust centerline). LSA is determined when a camshaft is ground and cannot be changed by the end user of the camshaft. A tighter LSA (smaller number) results in a narrower and peakier torque curve, while a wider LSA (bigger number) produces a broader torque curve. The intake centerline can be adjusted in relation to crank and piston position when the cam is installed by the end user and can have the effect of increasing off-idle torque (advancing) or increasing peak RPM (retarding). You must realize though, that all four cam timing functions (IO,IC,EO,EC) change when you alter the relationship of the cam to the crank/piston. When advancing the cam, the intake and exhaust valve will open sooner and close sooner. When retarding the cam, the intake and exhaust valve will open later and close later.

Quote:
For example, if your camshaft has a 110 LSA, and you install it with 4 advance, your intake centerline is 106 after Top Dead Center.
In this example, all four functions occur earlier in the cycle. By far, the most important timing event is the intake close. In your example, the intake would close 4 degrees earlier, trapping additional fuel/air mixture and generating additional cylinder pressure at the expense of peaking earlier and "running out of breath" earlier.

Quote:
or am i misinformed i read a thread on here about this i was just wondering on what i could do with this motor to make it perorm well wit a supercharger. in fact an M-90 to be exact. and a 2 brrl holley.
A supercharger will cover up a multitude of sins, but remember, in the end, you still only have 200 cubic inches. The fact is though, that if you puff 6 psi into the motor, it will think it has grown to 300 cubic inches.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.