Hot Rod Forum banner

Fender Allignment Filling the Gap

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
I have alligned my door and fender the best I possible could and see that the gap between the fender and door seem to spread out as it gets closer to the bottom. Everything else on the car seems to allign. When I attempt to allign this section it just seems to throw everything else off.
I was wondering if there was a trick in filling this gap? ie; Welding a seam to extend this area? Filler?

See less See more
#3 ·
It could be a lot of things Milo ...did you replace the radiator support bushings or loosen them up ? What about the old body mounts are they wore out??? it looks to me that either the rad support is a little high or the front of the body is a little low but if thats an after market fender its most likely the fender itself and its normal to modify the holes but it should lay right without any stress and NO bolts before its mounted ...

#5 ·
If you want to close up that gap and leave the upper part of the fender ok, you could loosen the lower bolts, lift the car a little with a floor jack under the "torque box" on the frame right under the cowl and the gap will close up, tighten the bolts and release the jack and there you go.

Old full frame bodyman trick.

Brian

#6 ·
But doing this wont it stretch the fender a bit and causing another area to misallign? I would think as I lower the jack I will see the fender suck in in the middle and causing it to sit lower that the door panel?
Im going to take off the aftermarket polyeurethane new rubber bushings I used on the radiator support and use the correct smaller ones. I think this would do the job

#7 ·
If it isn't too much it is a very common way to get that gap closed up, you are only moving it a fraction of an inch. But of course removing the bushings would be the right way if you ask me. Unless those old bushings are SHOT, I wouldn't worry about changing them. And most certainly not put those friggin hard as a rock polyurethane bushings.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.