Fender Flares - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 10:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fender Flares

How do you guys install fender flares and mold it? Is it all rivet in and bondo?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2004, 11:42 PM
back to action!

Last photo:

hey projectis, could you be more specific. i assume you mean fender flares that are molded into the body. are you talking glass or metal? aftermarket or home-made? a little more info could help. if you mean glass, i wouldn't use rivets as they can get lose in time and may start cracks down the road. if you mean metal, weld them in, and then fill. lame response i know but don't have a lot to go on.
Les
Old 02-17-2004, 11:46 AM

Its fiberglass. What do you reconmmend besides using rivets?
Old 02-17-2004, 12:06 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Fiberglass flares to fiberglass body? Or... Fiberglass flares to a metal body? What kind of car is it? It makes all the difference in the world. One way or the other?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:30 PM

fiberglass to the metal body. Its going to be on a Mercedes.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:27 AM
back to action!

Last photo:

why? is this for looks only or for covering rust? i mean that's different. although i've never done flares i have lots of fun with fiberglass. i have tons of articles in my old Hot Rod and Car Craft mags dealing with flares and hood scoops. you have to grind down to the bare metal and be sure it's perfectly clean and degreased and slop some resin on and stick the roughed up(for adhesion) flares on. with pre-cut pieces of cloth, carefully blend and cover the joint as you spread more cloth out. you want to spread the load and stress over the largest area practical. then it's super tough sanding time with fibers getting everywhere. that's the reader's digest version anyway. i have read in other articles though that due to the different expansion rates of the glass and metal, stress cracks are likely down the road. your call i guess. unless you trust your skills i wouldn't try it. it can be very messy unless you take your time. the hard part is the sanding to get a perfect blend between the flare and body. hope this helps.
Les
Old 02-18-2004, 01:43 PM

the flares are for look. If I get the universal flares and slap it on with rivet and feeling all the holes and gaps with bondo, would it crack? Or do i have to fiberglass it? Here is a picture what I am trying to do http://www.autoexplosion.net/Imports.../Mvc-001x2.htm

http://www.autoexplosion.net/Imports/pages/DCP_0803.htm

Thanks guys!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:34 PM
back to action!

Last photo:

the method you suggest will work i guess. but i wouldn't trust it for anything i would want to keep for awhile. i think there are just too many areas for it to fail in time. ever had a buddy that tried the simple easy route? there are tons around here and i think they are asking themselves why they did it. i bought my mustang from a kid who wanted to "fix it up and make it look good". well i can count the rivets on the body and the bondo he trowelled on comes off in such big chunks i can use them as a board to mix filler on. it's actually quite funny and i tease him all the time about it. Projectis, can't you use those plastic flares that you just match paint and install with self-tapping screws. they instal in minutes. im sure there's plenty of catalogues out there with the ones you might want.
Les
Old 02-20-2004, 01:27 AM

I'm a body guy, and I would never suggest bonding and blending a fiberglass anything onto a steel anything. It will crack.
I don't know what model benz your sportin, but I assume tire clearance is the idea? On most cars this will require cutting the factory lip out, as it will interfere with a wider tire. That lip provides a lot of stiffness to the panel, and without it, cracks are even more likely. Most factory quarters also have a wheel tub welded into that lip. If the lip is removed, prepare for a weak unibody and a trunk full of water!

HOWEVER....

The famouse DeTomaso Pantera was often fitted with the GT5 package... it consisted of (among other things) 'glass flares that were bolted, then bonded to a steel quarter, just as you describe... The piece is made with recessed bolt holes, so it can be filled over. Here's how they made it work...

1 The flare should be made for the car and fit very well. It should have a flange on the backside of at least in inch wide

2 Square head screws fit into the recesses, and are held from turning by the shape of the hole.

3 bond it with 3M windshield urethane. It is very strong, and most important, flexible. When steel and glass change temperature or vibrate, a rigid bond will not work

4 use nylock nuts on the backside, and do not fully tighten until after the urethan has cured.

5 Filler should be spread wide and shallow across the seam

6 Know a body guy in case it cracks the paint anyway.

Last edited by Hot Rod Hellion; 02-20-2004 at 01:33 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.