Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fender and Hood Alignment Issues
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The hood bow can be tuned with a 2X4 and a BFH to match the contour of the fender. If the hood seems too wide at the rear make sure to check it against your cowl panel-many times these hoods need to be pulled up in the center for more curve in the rear and this also decreases the width of the hood making your gaps at the fenders. The factory spec'd the front fenders on these cars to not be flush with the doors-they should be out from the doors .060"- .100" for door clearance so if a flush lexus type fit is wanted plan on making some modifications. The mods usually involve tweaking the front edge of the door out and taking some of the bow out of the fender with proper shimming-also sometimes the flange at the rear of the fender where the door swings in needs to be trimmed for door clearance. None of this stuff is easy and does take time. Proper radaator support is also necessary and the way these subframes bolt on and the fact that they usually are a little tweaked or sagged from years of use also can make for some alignment headaches. During a complete resto I usually prefit all the sheetmetal with the subframe off and the core support setting on screw jacks making sure the car is level from front to back-then on final assembly I shim the subframe mounts to get the core support height exactly where it needs to be. As little as 1/8" height difference on the core support mounting points can cause bows in the fenders. And definately the fenders shouldn't be under a lot of stress when installed properly-I've seen guys jack up under the cowl area to get the fender to fit then when the jack pressure is off the fender contorts from the strain of the vehicle weight-not good.