Hot Rod Forum banner

Fender install problem 59 apache

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  billg_69gmc 
#1 ·
Hey,

Wondering if anyone has experience in dealing with bad fitting replacement fenders for 58/59 apache.

I have not been able to line it up with the inner fender and the front grill support. It seems to be slightly twisted at the front and the only thing I can think of that would relax it is to remove the headlamp bucket bracket. Am I going about it wrong? The grill support is stock so the only oddball item is the fenders. I already had to tap down some of the tabs that didnt give a nice flat mount at the upper grill area, but the darn thing just seems to be locked into shape once they spot welded the headlamp bucket sheet metal thingy.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm stalled out at this point. Does ANY company GUARANTEE fit?

thanks

bill

#2 ·
fender install Part 2

Ok, I spent some time loosening up everything that could be loosened. Still the front of the fender is over 1/2" forward... So I broke out the other replacement fender... while not as much, it too is long in the front.

Does this point to the inner fenders needing to come out and compensate? I tried to see if the inner fender has any "float" to come forward. None that I can see...although the hood is still attached and it mounts to the inner fender. Removing it would free up it more maybe?

If so, will this totally mess up the hood by adding gap to the windshield area so it can come forward too? Along with the need to relocate holes or drift them so that the inner fenders can come forward.
I hope not.

Anyone? Bueller?

thanks

billg

#3 ·
Your front support should have an inch or two of play, forward and back. How do your bolt holes on your fender line up on your cowl as to the doors? Inner fenders will also flex a bit. You may have to ream the holes a little to line everything up. I think my next step would be take the hood off and to bolt the inner fenders to the fenders, see how they line up. Your hood and hinges have to be adding some twist. Fenders should bolt to the cowl and line up properly with the doors, some attention may be needed to the bolt holes on the fenders. (these are reproduction, right?) Pay attention to body lines. Hood alignment should be the last step in this job, side to side, back to front. God Luck, hope it works out for you. Dan

#4 ·
fender install Part 2

Dinger,

Thanks a ton! I wanted to hear something confirming, and I believe your insight to be spot on! It is difficult if not impossible to see what fasteners allow for play without removing more assemblies.

I'm about to remove the radiator & hood to totally free up the works. I wish I had bought all fresh bolts for the inner fenders and radiator support etc.

An inch of play would suit things fine. Hopefully I can get it moving along again. It is still just a temp set up with flat black paint on most everything till I decide on how to best really clean things up. For the most part I wanted to eliminate things that were falling apart.

Thanks again.

billg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.