fender lip rust repair - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 04:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fender lip rust repair

well i have some rust in the wheel lip of my mustang. can i cut if out and cut out a relplacment panel out of a 1/4 repair panel? I was going to take it to a shop to save time but would rather do it myself if i can. Here are some pictures of what i need to fix. I have done body work before but never have done sheet metal work, i know how to weld and have researched the process of welding in new panels so i cant see it being to difficult. just want to make sure im in the right thinking before i take a cut off wheel to it. This will be my excuse to get a tank for welding to replace the gay flux core ****. should i use 30 wire or 23 wire? here are some pictures of what im trying to repair.

take it easy,

Ty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

blackjackbender

Anything can be done with the right amount of patiance, time and the right tools. That fender edge has a least two curves to it that you would have to shape and by the looks of the rust on it you may have a larger patch then what is showing. Not saying that it can't be done by you, you may have more experience and knowledge than I know, it is not a sand, putty and paint problem and should be cut out and replaced, you may be better off going to a yard and finding a matching fender in good shape and cut out what you need and a little extra around the edges and then weld it in. And yes get the 23 wire with gas, 30 will do it but will have to be very careful about overheating and warpage and even with the 23 wire you don't want to weld to long of a strip at a time maybe 1 inch, and I would tack it every couple of inches around the piece first and give it time to cool off between welds. Can it be done YES, can you do it YES, just take your time. good luck and get your new tank of gas.

30dee

PS: And welcome to the board
Old 03-22-2006, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30desoto
blackjackbender

Anything can be done with the right amount of patiance, time and the right tools. That fender edge has a least two curves to it that you would have to shape and by the looks of the rust on it you may have a larger patch then what is showing. Not saying that it can't be done by you, you may have more experience and knowledge than I know, it is not a sand, putty and paint problem and should be cut out and replaced, you may be better off going to a yard and finding a matching fender in good shape and cut out what you need and a little extra around the edges and then weld it in. And yes get the 23 wire with gas, 30 will do it but will have to be very careful about overheating and warpage and even with the 23 wire you don't want to weld to long of a strip at a time maybe 1 inch, and I would tack it every couple of inches around the piece first and give it time to cool off between welds. Can it be done YES, can you do it YES, just take your time. good luck and get your new tank of gas.

30dee

PS: And welcome to the board
sorry for not be specfic this is the fender lip of the rear 1/4 panel.

just curious how much in labor would I be looking at for getting this done? 500 or so?

also would it make sense just to replace what is needed and cut it out of the patch panel so I am keeping as much orginal steel as possible? of course im going to strip to check out the whole area. you do beads when doing panel work? i was always told to just tack weld the whole thing and skip ever inch to two inches between tack welds to prevent warpage.

thanks for the welcome to the board, sad thing ive been on here 3 years and only haev six posts. huge lurker you could say
Old 03-22-2006, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

strip the panel and check the whole thing out for other bad areas, if the wheel opening is the only area then yeah I'd replace just this area and keep the rest original. Fitting the patch piece perfectly is the first and most important step. If the contour and fit isn't right don't attempt to weld it in. Make it fit perfrectly before you crank the welder up. Use spot welds and skip around taking your time untill it's completely welded. grind the welds down slowly not making a lot of heat and check over for any pinholes in the welds that need to be spotted again.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

baddbob is correct on only replacing what is needed and has explained better than me on the welding or tack of the replacement piece also check the inside of the fender for rust I had a 71 stang and they are know to rust out the inner fender into the trunk area. As to cost on the repair maybe a bodyman here with their own business can answer that better than I, I have always done my own repairs and have not had any body work done by others as of yet and I hope I don't need them.

30dee
Old 03-23-2006, 04:06 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

As to the cost of the repair, it would depend on the area you live. Labor rates varry greatly from region to region. You may also have a problem finding a shop that would want to do just the rust repair, unless you find a small independant shop. Most will either want nothing to do with it, or want to repair it and paint. They also will likely use more filler to cover up a quicky repair, rather than really fixing it good.

That is really not a difficult job if you take your time.

Aaron
Old 03-23-2006, 04:39 AM

Last photo:

thanks for help, im sure i can get this done without a problem but that first cut its gonna be a little scary. now time to get a bottle for the welder.
I will keep ya all posted on my progress when i start doing this in a week or two

thanks

Ty
Old 03-23-2006, 09:52 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

In the auto body class I am taking a father and son did the same repair on a mustang. It turned out nice. Can't say that I watched them do it but maybe this will encourage you to try it. The worst that can happen is that you have to pay someone to fix it. Go for it!

James
Old 03-23-2006, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
In the auto body class I am taking a father and son did the same repair on a mustang. It turned out nice. Can't say that I watched them do it but maybe this will encourage you to try it. The worst that can happen is that you have to pay someone to fix it. Go for it!

James
thanks for the advice, my dad told me the exact same thing a few hours ago. Im taking an autobody class at school but teacher just bondo and paint work no metal work at all.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:00 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Bondo wouldn't fix it. It would just hide the growing problem. We are learning rust repair which is to cut it out to good metal and weld in a filler piece. Before I cut out metal I shape the piece first and compare it to what I am am going to cut out. From what I have learned if you get the piece within 1/8" of the original shape than the remaining 1/8" can be filled with filler. But we try to get as close as possible to the original shape and use as little filler as possible. The main thing is to have fun and learn as you go.

"my dad told me the exact same thing a few hours ago"

That is what my Dad use to say also..dang those guy can be smart some days...lol. (By the way I am a Dad also!)

Enjoy and have fun. Post pics as you do the work!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
Bondo wouldn't fix it. It would just hide the growing problem. We are learning rust repair which is to cut it out to good metal and weld in a filler piece. Before I cut out metal I shape the piece first and compare it to what I am am going to cut out. From what I have learned if you get the piece within 1/8" of the original shape than the remaining 1/8" can be filled with filler. But we try to get as close as possible to the original shape and use as little filler as possible. The main thing is to have fun and learn as you go.

"my dad told me the exact same thing a few hours ago"

That is what my Dad use to say also..dang those guy can be smart some days...lol. (By the way I am a Dad also!)

Enjoy and have fun. Post pics as you do the work!
i know i need to replace the metal i was just saying in my body class they teach just paint and bondoing not metal work at all.

yeah my dad may know a thing or two

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.