Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fender metal work gone bad
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrlys4evr View Post
Got the cowl cover on, and it is definitely short by 1/4" or so.... and yes, the patch was on the fender. Back when I was very naive and impatient. Paying for it now though. I appreciate your advice much Brian! So I guess my question is, where would the best place be to slice and add some metal to fill into the gap?
First off, you can measure it against the other fender to find out for sure. Secondly you can "rob Peter to pay Paul" and find a "bestest" fit between all the parts if you don't want to get into lengthening the fender. But if you really want to do that, I would go with cutting it where the patch panel was added, that is after all where it is too short. Cut it, make a strip in the proper length and weld it all back together. Sometimes it's easier to cut something like that off above where it was welded, then cut off a half inch or so, the whole welded area. Make your extension 3/4" to make up for the half inch you cut off and the 1/4" it's short and weld it all back together the correct length.

Brian