Hot Rod Forum banner

Fender metal work gone bad

6K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
Long story, but in a nut shell I did not properly align my panels way back when I was working on this truck in a parking lot. All before I got a garage, good enough was good enough and I just burned in a lower rear patch panel to get by. Anyways, now that I am taking the time to get it done right... I aligned the door to the rear of the cab and installed the fender. This is where I noticed the fender was short. As you can see in the picture by the shortage compared to the rocker panel. Just looking for some expertise and a little direction before I start hacking at it and making more work than needed. Thanks!!!

Chris

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Without the hood on you don't know if that fender is too high up or not. The top is ending at the body line on the door. I don't know those trucks well but I think the fender goes a little lower as the hood ends about at that body line which means the fender would need to be about 3/16" below that, I am thinking that fender goes down a bunch.

You REALLY can't do anything until all the parts are on and you can move them around to see what you have.

Brian

#6 ·
I hear ya. I have the other side all set up and it is set the same way, except it fits well. (pics in my journal) The hood was on, but I took it off to finish stripping it down, but it sits right on that line. All the contours of the fender are way off if there is any deviation from the height of that upper body line. It is actually a very easy truck to align panels on. I am pretty sure when I chopped it way back when, I went short but I will re install the hood and play with it tonight.

#7 ·
Of course that little cowl cover is also very important, maybe more important than the hood being the hood doesn't meet up with the door. But honestly, trail fitting all parts for stuff like this is VERY important.

Brian

#10 ·
My sisters husband had a few of those trucks when new, one he put trippower on it with a Muncie and it was black, very nice. I didn't like them at all back then, but I have gotten to over the years, nice looking truck.

Brian

#11 ·
Brian, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing your time and know-how with us! I'm about to get going on a 61 Chevy truck restoration and have been studying paint & bodywork on this forum for a long time. I've learned so much from you!(and a handfull of other guys) I'm sure I'll make mistakes but at least I have a good foundation of knowledge to work from.

#12 ·
No problem, it's my pleasure. When I did my convertible top a while back Dan and some others on the interior forum reminded me much we can help someone who has never done something. After all the help they gave me, believe me I am more than happy to help someone doing paint and body. The learning curve is MUCH too steep without help.

Brian:thumbup:

#13 ·
Got the cowl cover on, and it is definitely short by 1/4" or so.... and yes, the patch was on the fender. Back when I was very naive and impatient. Paying for it now though. I appreciate your advice much Brian! So I guess my question is, where would the best place be to slice and add some metal to fill into the gap?

#19 ·
First off, you can measure it against the other fender to find out for sure. Secondly you can "rob Peter to pay Paul" and find a "bestest" fit between all the parts if you don't want to get into lengthening the fender. But if you really want to do that, I would go with cutting it where the patch panel was added, that is after all where it is too short. Cut it, make a strip in the proper length and weld it all back together. Sometimes it's easier to cut something like that off above where it was welded, then cut off a half inch or so, the whole welded area. Make your extension 3/4" to make up for the half inch you cut off and the 1/4" it's short and weld it all back together the correct length.

Brian

#15 ·
I know how you're feeling there '66'. I have thought about that road, but before I go there, l want to see If I can recover from this error. You're right about the year group. It is a 65 C-20. Here are the as it is photos. The right side is perfect. And then there is the mess on the drivers side. Still tweaking:smash::smash: to get the best fit. Just a matter of where to hack it at on the lower half. If all else fails, I will throw down the Dinero and get a new one.

Attachments

#17 ·
Looks like the real culprit is the rocker. Spot welds separated on the front half and it sprung down causing the excessive gap. Breaking out the welder and grinders and some sheet metal to get this done in a second. I appreciate your insight Brian and '66'!! Time for surgery.

#18 ·
But if the rocker wasn't changed and the fender patch panel was, how could it be the rocker? Always look at what you touched first, I mean, it wasn't made that way at the factory was it? No, so look at what WAS touched, in this case the fender. But don't think you have to be cutting off the fender patch yet.

Brian

#21 · (Edited)
That is another story.The rocker was changed years ago. The truck was really abused on the driver side. Nothing was straight when I originally got the truck many moons ago and then it has sat in pieces for years now. I have spent the last two days going over the alignment trying to avoid chopping the fender again. And not a minute has gone by that I have I not kicked my own arse for this problem I created. I was studying that original picture of the first post and you can see something isn't right besides the misalignment. I have the cowl on, gaped at the top of the fender 5/16" just like the pass side and looks pretty close to the bottom of the rocker now. I need to add some fill to the fender / door gap as you can see in the picture. I have punched out a couple more spot welds from the bottom of the rocker and pushed it up where it should be. I think we got it. Let me know your thoughts?!?

Attachments

#25 ·
One more thing you may try. Loosen the bolts to the fender, lower the radiator support on the left side if you can. It may be shimmed already, pull out a shim or 2. It looks like you could get a perfect gap top to bottom and also where it fits to the cowl piece. Just a thought. Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.