Hot Rod Forum banner

Fender patch panel cutting?

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
I have two fenders, one w/rust issues on the lower back portion and one w/some prior bad body work up top but has good lower portion. My plan is to cut the good portion out of the one and use it to patch the other. My question is, is it better to just cut the whole section off and weld new on or should it leave the edges and cut/weld a new center section in? See pics below:

OR

See less See more
#2 ·
what car is it?

my eye sight is poor but from what I can see is:
"if" patching with old steel is the only option then use panel bond adhesive...

welding on worn out (no strength left) steel,,,you end up with goobs of filler to hide all the warping and the welding heat depletes any corrosion resistance left in the old steel...

#3 ·
If you are sure the 2nd fender with the good lower section is not rusted inside, I would cut the skin off that and patch it in to the other fender, leaving the bracing. Do like pic #2, except cut it right at the edges where it folds around. Easier to weld there, less warpage. Also, go further under the bottom.

Might be easier and better just to buy a patch panel.....they are not that much

#4 ·
red65mustang said:
what car is it?

my eye sight is poor but from what I can see is:
"if" patching with old steel is the only option then use panel bond adhesive...

welding on worn out (no strength left) steel,,,you end up with goobs of filler to hide all the warping and the welding heat depletes any corrosion resistance left in the old steel...
It is on a '79 Camaro. That is actually not the picture of the fender I am using, the metal is in good shape.

I was worried about warping.

#5 ·
poncho62 said:
If you are sure the 2nd fender with the good lower section is not rusted inside, I would cut the skin off that and patch it in to the other fender, leaving the bracing. Do like pic #2, except cut it right at the edges where it folds around. Easier to weld there, less warpage. Also, go further under the bottom.

Might be easier and better just to buy a patch panel.....they are not that much
I was thinking of cutting about 1/4 inch around the edge and going further down on the bottom....probably right before the mounting holes.

A patch panel is about 40-50 bucks and I figure I will still have the same issues w/cutting and warping. Plus the donor fender is junk besides the lower panel.

#6 ·
Fender repairs

kevs79 said:
I have two fenders, one w/rust issues on the lower back portion and one w/some prior bad body work up top but has good lower portion. My plan is to cut the good portion out of the one and use it to patch the other. My question is, is it better to just cut the whole section off and weld new on or should it leave the edges and cut/weld a new center section in? See pics below:

OR

The first thing I'd do is grind both fenders completely :welcome:
That way you can inspect them and make sure you're not waisting you're time. :(
You may deside it is better to buy a good one :mwink:
It shouldn't be too hard to rebuild the bottom section. :thumbup: I wouldn't make one out of two. You might as well use new metal make a patch for the bottom. Fix the other fender in your spare time and Sell the other fender :thumbup:
:pimp:

#7 ·
my $.02:
you can try too do the used metal to used metal patch job but you will likely end up buying a new fender ($200?) or go get one from a yard....

1979 vintage fender sheet metal is not likely "in good shape" for temper strength to stand up to welding...

cost of the panel bond adhesive/fillers/epoxy/etc/etc is not far from the new fender price (and you will need to find a free loaner adhesive gun because they are $100+)....

???if it's a damage repair,,,ask at a local body shop how much to pull it back out...

#8 ·
Just thinking out loud here. It would be easier to make one cut and one weld accross the top, but then I run the risk of loosing the contour of the fender. I guess I could make the cut, then mount the fender back up before welding(top and bottom portions). Make sure it lines up w/the door by ok and then weld? Does that make sense?

#10 ·
123pugsy said:
I take it there is inner bracing.
If so don't cut the skin and the bracing at the same place.
Tacking and checking on the car seems the way to go for sure.
What welding method are you using?
Yep, there is bracing. I would leave that in place and just take the skin off. I am using wire feed flux core...........I know gas is better but I have welded patches on the quarters and metal part of dash w/no warping. I just take my time and make tons of little welds and rotate around as to spread the heat.....seems to work for me.

#12 ·
Use a flanger to step the fender side of the repair.Use panel weld adhesive rather than flux welder just use drill screws to hold it all together till the glue dries then remove the screws and fill the screw holes with more glue.Install the fender and make adjustments before glueing it all together,or you'll never get back apart,the glue joint is stronger than the metal.The metal will tear before the glue lets loose.So get it all screwed together before glueing.JB weld works well too...(no gun)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.