Fender replacement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 07:52 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fender replacement

Whats your preference for the order of a new fender installation?
Do you paint it first then install? then contend with touching up the
assembly bolts, or do you install it primed then paint everything?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 06:35 PM

new fender

You need to make sure the fender fits before you have final paint on it, for sure.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,086 Posts
It really depends on what you want out of life. If you are after the perfect job, on the perfect car, trial fit it, paint it off the car and install it.

If you want "a real car in the real world" job, jamb it, bolt it on and paint on the car. There is a VERY slim chance you will match the paint without blending so bolting it on first and blending onto the adjacent panels is "better" in many cases.

You can paint the fender off the car and then still blend the adjacent panels of course, but that can take more experiance.

Where I work we paint and install literally probably over a hundred fenders a month. About 75% are painted off the car while 25% on the car. The difference would largely fall on the degree of difficulty in installing the fender. The more difficult, like a Chrylser truck or something like that, it just makes sense to paint it after it is installed.
Something easy like a Toyota Camry, that would be a waste to paint the jamb and then the fender, those get painted off the car.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Resto work

Since I do nothing but restoration sorts of things I thought I might weigh in on this one...Most of the fenders and such that I get are used and need to be cleaned before installation..so I clean them..Prime them....paint the inside of the fender or panel..bolt it on and then paint the outside of the car..Works for me as I just focus on the metal work anyway..I do it this way for rust and corrosion reasons..

Yup..gonna have to sand the car out as by the time we get all the metal work done and everything back together and hung straight you will be outside the recoat window..

I am now thanks to this site using a 2k epoxy primer on all of my parts..The paint guys seem to be able to cope with this just fine..

Dunno about being the perfect way to go but it does seem to work..

OMT

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.