Hot Rod Forum banner

fender welting advice

16K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  CQNRQY 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a video or have some tips on installing fender welting on a 37 chevy master sedan ? I have never done it and can't find any posts or videos on the net.....even tried google and utube. I just need the basics unless someone out thre has pics of a 37-40 chevy sedan with examples, especially the rear where the fender/body line changes
Thansk

#3 ·
Process is the same as with any car that uses fender welt.
I did a '37 chevy some years ago, and IIRC, I simply ran the welting down the seam and off the end, took the remainder cut it about an 1-1/2" long,
make a pie cut and fold it up between the fender and adjacent panel, and tighten the bolts.
I ordered my welting from Mikes-A-Fordable, (Same stuff, and local to me)
Started all the bolts in the fender, and slid the welting in place, the bolt will cause a wrinkle in the welt, removed the welt, and cut with scissors, a U shape, at each wrinkle to fit around the bolt. Leaving about 3/8" of "web" at the "bead". Then re-install the welt and tighten the bolts.
(there may end up the need to cut a tad mor out of the U shape)

Thanx
Shorty

#9 ·
I opeted out of putting my welting back, but I can say the welting I had on my car the bolts actually went through it... so you might want to take a few bolts out at a time and slide your welting in then use and awl and punch through before puting your bolts back through

simon

#10 ·
Using punched holes usually ends up being the greater of the evils. I have found a U shape cut out works the best. Place all your bolts in the holes and start the nuts Or start the bolt in the nut plate if that is what you have. Then slip your welting in place, adjusting the cut out if necessary. Starting at one end of the run, hand tighten the bolts/nuts while holding the welt in place. This is when an extra hand comes in handy. You are adjusting the depth as well as holding a slight amount of linear tension. You work from bolt to bolt, making corrections as you go. After getting 4 or 5 bolts hand tight and you are happy with the positioning of the welting, then drop back and tighten the first bolt and keep alternating to another hand tightened bolt and back to the second bolt until you reach the end. Then tighten the remaining bolts. Sometimes, a gentle tug on the bottom of the welting can help pull it tighter into the opening between the fender and body or a nylon sliver can be used to pry it up if it gets pushed/pulled to deep.

Trees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.